Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap quilts for nursing home residents >

Lap quilts for nursing home residents

Lap quilts for nursing home residents

Old 09-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
Here's a link that you could use scrappy strips: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/08/pure-comfort.html

Once you take it off, it can be put at the foot of the bed to keep feet warm.
This is a great shawl that can also be used as a lap robe, I have made several ,They are very easy and great when lined with flannel, I do not buy jelly rolls, I just make them like a patchwork or use large pieces of fabric.

It is also very helpful to sew strings or ribbons onto the quilts to tie onto the wheelchairs so that the do not slide off and get trapped in the wheels.

Last edited by raedar63; 09-15-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

I am thinking of doing this in my area. Some of my large scrappy quilts could be cut in half and have that edge rebound. I will maul over this and see what I decide to do. I could probably make a simple pattern for a lap quilt in a week in my spare time. I just finish one and start another. My family has lots, so do friends and some I don't know. I love making quilts and was going to keep them because I had run out of people who want them. This would help me out and them too.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 PM

I just finish one and start another. My family has lots, so do friends and some I don't know. I love making quilts and was going to keep them because I had run out of people who want them. This would help me out and them too.

LOL....Jingle....me too! While I am making a top...family always asks "who is that one for"....My response is usually "I DOnt know...I just wanted to try this new pattern"

Maybe, Linda, you could use some quilt tops? I have several just waiting for me to finish them up....Most are about 42 x 42....WOuld you be able to put flannel or fleece on the back? PM me if you would like me to send you a couple....
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM

Hi Beth:

I live in Federalsburg. The nursing home I'm making the quilts for is the Pines in Easton. It would be great if you could help. When I started this a couple of days ago I was just asking for patterns, but it's turned into something wonderful where people are volunteering to help with the actual making of the quilts. My niece works on a unit that holds 44 residents so that's the amount I was trying to make. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can reach me on the QB or also at my email address of [email protected]
Thank you! Linda
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Dear Kimbrennan: I would love to have some of your quilt tops. Any size will be appreciated. I would be able to put flannel on them. I had bought several bolts last year from JoAnn's when they had it on sale so I should have plenty to finish them. My address is 25012 Richardson Road, Federalsburg, Md. 21632 Thank you soooo much!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Please don't be discouraged but I wanted to share that my Father lives in a nursing home. My Mother visits everyday and tracks his laundry that she personally puts his name on. Most of the time it takes 4-6 weeks to return to his room and that is with her often hunting for it herself. Sad but true. Very frustrating for my Mom. It's the day and age we live in. However, it is still worth it to give to elderly people.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:56 PM

Linda... God bless your generous heart. I have accumulated a lot of fabric including flannel that is just sitting on shelves, so I will make quilt tops or finished quilts as time allows and send them to you.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:35 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

This is a great thread. I really must do some charity sewing. I think I'll check at the local homes and see what's needed.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I'm wondering if there were members here that would want to volunteer to make some, or donate fabric, or squares. I'm not a great sewer, and I'm not totally proud of my skills, but I would think of helping out. Some of the members have been very generous with their scraps, and I would love to share. Let me know.
Barri
It's a great idea, but maybe you should start a separate thread under donation requests. Also, one of the greatest things to use is polar fleece for the backing, and any simple squares or strips for the front. Then tie or simple straight stitching to hold the two layers together, and the rows of stitching don't have to be close on fleece.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 AM

LINDA RENFRO....you should ask moderator to remove your email and home address--it can be very dangerous to post to public. Instead, let the folks PM you and you can answer with the info. Just saying.....