Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LAQ... do you have them trim your quilts after quilting?

My Longarmer trims all my quilts and attaches the binding to the front so I just have to slip stitch to the back! I supply the binding 2.5" ready presssed in half and the backing! She has done approx 23/30 quilts for me over the past 10yrs, never had a problem! She always returns all the cut off fabric/batting.

My quilter always trims and I like that. She does a good job and it is less work for me.

My quilter does not trim before returning the quilt to me, regardless of what fiber content the batting is. I'll stitch a scant 1/4" from the edge all around and then trim when I use polyester batting, and then bind.

i do my own trimming because the person who does the quilting charges for it.the quilting alone costs enuf

NO! I had a very bad experience with a LA trimming the six quilts I brought her and she must have had a senior moment. Backing was too short on one...like it was still stretched on the frame...then she cut and the fabric returned and was way too short. ^&**^$ me off!
    now I ask them to not trim. They have no problem NOT trimming when I ask. just let them know!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    Do you have the long arm quilter trim your quilts after they finish quilting? When using polyester batting I like to stay stitch mine before trimming, as polyester batting sometimes (quite often) pops back after it has been cut. Then there is not enough batting to fill the binding. This does not happen when using cotton batting. Some long arm quilters automatically do it without asking......

I usually square off and trim and return all scraps. I only have a small group at this time that I quit for, but going forward with new clients I will try to remember to ask them. Thanks for the thought provoking question.

after reading more of the comments, I will add I do not charge for the trimming (about the only extra I don't charge for. Most of my cutomers will have me attach the binding.

No, I like to square mine up as I am trimming the extra batting and backing off.

as a longarmer, I dont trim unless my customer wants me to. I do not charge for it. But before I had my longarm, my longarmer trimmed and it cause problems getting binding on a pieced border.

My LAQ does not trim my quilts. She bastes around the perimeter of the quilt after she finishes quilting it.
    I always sew my binding on before trimming and I think this is the normal procedure and the reason she doesn't trim.
    Plus this would be time consuming, I wouldn't want to pay someone to trim my quilts.

Mine serges mine and like that because it's ready to put the binding as soon as get the quilt back. Nice, neat edge

Thank you for this information. Now my question is do you put your binding on then trim or do you trim and then put your binding on? I bind then trim, and then hand sew binding down.

I trim, sew on binding, hand sew back down.

Blog Entries
    I attach the binding then trim.

Blog Entries
    the LQS that I work at never trim unless asked or if we do the binding but we send all extra fabric back with them

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candlequilter
    I guess I am one of those who do it automatically. That was how my mentor trained me and I think it gives a nice finish to the quilt top to that the owner just has to put the binding on. When I am quilting the tops I always put a row of stitches within 1/4 inch of the quilt top edge and that way the batting doesn't have a chance to move and stabilizes the top before quilting. They can still put whatever size binding on that they wish. It will be interesting to see how most people prefer to have it and I might need to start checking before I just automatically trim. Everyone that I have done quilts for seem very pleased with how I do them.Thanks for the uestion,
    SherrylCandlequilter
    I was and am pleased that you do that. You do an excellent job, and I really appreciate it. The one time I had a LAQ'r not trim, I didn't like it.

I always add the binding, then trim.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat
    Thank you for this information. Now my question is do you put your binding on then trim or do you trim and then put your binding on? I bind then trim, and then hand sew binding down.
    That was sounds totally bass-ackward and awkward as heck. I trim first, or should I say my LAQr does, and I really appreciate it.

Maybe I should have said I sew the binding on the quilt, then trim and then hand sew the binding.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat
    Maybe I should have said I sew the binding on the quilt, then trim and then hand sew the binding.
    Yeah, I understand, but it just seems backward to me. I staystitch around the quilt, then trim. Then I sew my binding on and handstitch it down. It just seems very awkward to have all that excess backing and batting flapping around while trying to sew the binding on. I try to buy the 108-120 inch backings, and try to always leave PLENTY on all sides, so there would be a lot on the right hand side of the needle.

But, there is no right or wrong way to do stuff, so VIVE LA DIFFERENCE!! :P :P

I have only had 2 quilts done by a LAQ. She trimmed the quilts and sent everything back with it. I liked that she trimmed. So far there haven't been any problems.

Blog Entries
    Mine always does a stay stitch and trims it to about 1 inch. Up to me if I want to trim it any more. I like this.

The only time I sent a quilt out for LAQ she sewed the binding on for only an extra $5. So it was trimmed and squared up. I thought that was a heck of a deal!

I only trim the quilts I quilt for my DMIL and for American Heros (don't want to pay postage on scraps). All the rest go back to the owner with all the extra backing and batting attached.

However, I do trim the batting about 1-2 inches from the bottom of the quilt if I need to re-roll the quilt - all the extra batting doesn't fit well around the roller. I send the extra batting back with the quilt.

When I load the quilt top I stitch across the top, as I advance the sandwich I stitch down the sides, basting everything in place. When I get to the bottom I stitch (bast) across the bottom. That way when I remove the sandwich to turn it and quilt the opposite borders everything stays in place. After I remove the quilt from the frame I do trim the backing and batting 1 inch beyond the quilt top. (Unless this is a first time customer) This makes it easy for my customer to apply the binding width they prefer and to have plenty of batting inside the binding. If it is a first time customer I usually do not trim the backing and batting unless they request it. I always return all extra or trimmed batting and backing to my customer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2