Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Large cones of serger thread >

Large cones of serger thread

Large cones of serger thread

Old 12-06-2014, 04:07 PM

Default Large cones of serger thread

I am not very knowledgeable about sergers. I have always used small cones of thread until recently. I was given some very large cones, they are 5 3/4 inches tall and the opening in the bottom is 1 3/4 inches. These large cones will not fit securely on the spool pins. Is there someway to secure them?
Thank you,
Loretta
Old 12-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Put the cones in a large coffee mug and sit the mug in the back of your sewing machine
Old 12-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

WOW, I am not sure what to suggest. I have never had a good relationship with my old Babylock serger.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned

Cones that big should be heavy enough to stay put on the pins, the concern I'm thinking of is are the spool pins far enough apart to set cones that big on them so they aren't touching?

Cari
Old 12-06-2014, 05:50 PM

I just worked on a machine with that same problem, today. I thought she wouldn't be able to serge with them, because when they flopped off the sides, it messed up the tension. But the boss just put some plastic cone holders on the spool pins, and they stayed in place pretty well. You should be able to get serger cone holders at any store that sells sergers. They're just those cone shaped plastic things that go on the spool pin.

The other thing to think about is the quality of the thread. If it isn't good quality thread, you won't get a good quality stitch.

With sergers, the thread has to pull straight off the top of the cone, or you'll get a wavy edge. So putting the cones behind your serger probably won't work, unless you can extend the wire thread guides.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:49 PM

I'd suggest the plastic "cone thread adapters" for each spool pin.

Thread nets on each cone will keep the thread unwinding right so you don't have waves. You just slide them on the spool of thread & have the thread coming out the top.

Check with your local sewing store. They should carry both items. I use the large spools on my serger all the time & have never had any flop off. I do the same with my coverstitch machine.