Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
storing large thread cones >

storing large thread cones

storing large thread cones

Old 12-09-2018, 01:41 PM

Default storing large thread cones

Does anyone have the Ikea Eket drawers for storing cones of thread(like the superior threads)? I would like to buy more thread by the cone but can't decide the best way to store it and these look pretty good.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00333947/

Is this what you mean? I don't have it, but, if it works, there is an IKEA close to me so I could consider it. Right now cones are jumbled up in this

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/p...SABEgJU8PD_BwE

I love IKEA
Old 12-09-2018, 02:49 PM

I guess a link would have been helpful,
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-art-00333947/
This is the one I am considering. They will fit under my sewing table and still leave me leg room. I thought a drawer pack with a couple of the boxes from the eket set on top would be pretty handy. Need to make it to Ikea to have a look and it is not nearby so I hoped someone else might have tried them.
I love Ikea too.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Yes that’s the link I sent. Are you going to take your cones to see if they will stand up? Or is t that an issue for you?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Yes will take a cone along to test but I am guessing the height will be fine. I am wondering if the drawers will open enough to reach the ones that will be at the back of the drawer and how many cones will actually fit in a drawer.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 AM

In the picture the height of the drawer is listed but it's in cm.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

According to the link, the drawers are 11" deep. That's way too deep for cones of thread IMO. I currently use several plastic storage drawer sets, similar to these. I got mine before I started accumulating thread cones, so I have other things stored in the shorter drawers. Just measure the cones to find out what height drawers you need. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...Tower/15442448
Old 12-10-2018, 07:27 PM

I have all of my cone thread in two of those single drawer plastic cabinets from the big box store. They are the perfect height for the cones, and if I get too many, I can put some in between upside down. Light colors in one drawer, and darkin the other. Eventually I will take a day and put the contact paper I bought over the sides and front to make them pretty. The contact paper is a black and white brocade look.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:21 AM

How tall are the cones you need to store?

For embroidery thread storage, I had dry erase board cut to fit in the drawers. Then glued golf tees in a grid to fit the cones. It keeps the threads from sliding around when the drawer is opened. The tees come in different heights so this method could also be used for the large cones.

Each tray is stored in a wire basket drawer system and holds 81 cones.

I have also used trays like these in the double height storage boxes for serger thread cones.

https://www.artbin.com/cone-tread-tray-6901ab.aspx
Old 12-12-2018, 04:06 AM

Rhonda K, great idea with the golf tees. I presently have all of my cones in plastic bins and every time I move them they end up tipping, tumbling and unraveling. What a mess! It's the reason that I am hesitating about getting more cones until I have a good storage solution.
The superior cones are 4 inches(just over 10cm) and I really would like to store them upright so that they aren't rolling around every time I move their container.
Madame Kelly your brocade contact paper sounds very posh, I think I would like to sew in your sewing room.
I am aiming to make it to ikea today with my cone in my purse so I will keep you posted.