Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Largest Quilt you have Quilted?

Largest Quilt you have Quilted?

I have a Janome 6600 and am currently FMQ a twin to full size quilt.

My next quilt is closer to a queen size.

I think I am going to quilt this one myself. I am a little worried about the size.

Would you tackle this? What is the largest quilt you have quilted on a DSM?

kitty

Blog Entries
    I would look at quilting as you go, or quilting in sections. There's a good book by Marti Michell which gives many different techniques on doing this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Marti-Michell-...=marti+michell
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I did a queen sized but only straight lines. The other queen sized I did the Gracie with a bl quilters pro which I have taken down. Next one will be quilt as you go method. I worked with a quilter that always used this method and her quilts were gorgeous! I did a full sized one several years ago that turned out well.

i did a sitd on the 6600 with a queen size but that's about as big as i would try......

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I did a full tied. Maybe little bigger than a full.

Name:  008 (2).JPG
Views: 1372
Size:  1.52 MBName:  006 (2).JPG
Views: 1364
Size:  1.55 MBName:  001 (6).JPG
Views: 1357
Size:  1.09 MBName:  007 (2).JPG
Views: 1351
Size:  1.62 MBThis past winter/spring I quilted a large queen almost king size on my DSM Bernina. It is approx 101 x 111. I did a FMQ Flower and leaf design all over the quilt. It actually went much better than I had expected. It took 11 bobbins and I worked on it over 3 days.
    I have a desk that my machine sinks into and the back lifts up to give me a larger flat surface. I also put wood clamps and cardboard around the edges to keep the quilt from falling off. I just made a big "puddle" and worked in that.
    Last edited by Jim's Gem; 08-11-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added pictures

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I made one about 102x90 on my littler Bernina. I did mostly swirlies and swooped around the flying geese. Just baste well and start in the middle. I usually end up having to re-smooth and re-pin as I work my way out. No matter how well I pin, there seems to be puffiness that needs to be re-smoothed towards the edges.
    Lori

Ann Peterson' craftsy class about quilting large quilts on a DSM is very good

Think about when you are driving on the freeway -- you are "looking ahead" but really concerned about the vehicles in your immediate area - same with quilting. Getting your quilt "stable on the table" is the main concern -- then just do it in sections as noted above - center out. Did a full on my back up machine - less than 6" throat. Must admit it's much easier with a wide throat area.

Once I quilted an oversized king quilt on my Bernina because I could not find a LAQ who would do a quilt that large. I cut the batting into 3 sections and the quilting went well. I used SITD for the quilt top and FMQ on the wide borders. I still do some twin size quilts on my Bernina; but recently, I have been sending large quilts to the LAQ. Best wishes with your queen size quilt.

I feel encouraged! Thanks for all the responses. I will follow up when I am done.

All you need is good support for your quilt. Some have been doing that with suspenders. I have a piece of board that inserts between the drawer and my cutting table so the quilt is support to my left side. I easily quilted my avatar queen size with a 7" throat on my Bernina 1530. If you see some picture from the 80s, we were taught to roll up the quilt and throw it on our shoulder. That NEVER worked for me !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I used Marti Michell's book for quilting in sections, until I came across a quilt that didn't have any straight lines running all the way through it. I quilted it on my DSM (93x104"), said never again, and promptly bought a longarm.

I free motion quilted a 72" square. It wasn't easy, but I was so in love with the variegated thread I was using, it took away some of the pain! Batting selection can greatly affect the ability to maneuver these beasts under the throat space, which is why I switched from Quilter's Dream select to Hobbs.

Power Poster
    I FMQed in spiderwebs on my queen size Spiderweb quilt. Was it easy on my Bernina 440? No but it turned out quite nice.

I think the largest I have done was 110x110" but on a Janome 7700 which has a large throat!

I quilted a kingsize double wedding ring on my then designer D1. I stitched around all the arcs and embroideried in the centers. Used every table I could get my hands on. Turned out great.

Blog Entries
    I did a king....what was I thinking....never again it was so heavy to maneuver ......I had sore shoulders and wrists........came out swell but not again that size. I did it in a Designer 1........

Blog Entries
    *** 120" x 120"
    *** Hand quilted.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can do it! I did a jumbo queen on a Brother with a 4(ish) inch throat. I now have a Brother 1600 with a 9 inch throat. I can do anything on it. Give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    You can do it! I did a jumbo queen on a Brother with a 4(ish) inch throat. I now have a Brother 1600 with a 9 inch throat. I can do anything on it. Give it a go!

Wow! I will give it a go.

I used my Janome 7700 to do all over feathers on a queen sized quilt. It was all a matter of weight management -- my Sew Ezi was pushed up against the dining room table and I put a folding table on my left. Throat space was not an issue and it was actually fairly pleasant to do.

I have a Viking Ruby and I am currently working on a 110 by 110 king size quilt.

I made a large King 120x120 for my daughter and quilted it on my vintage Kenmore. It took me a very very long time to do it.

I have done several Cal King sized quilts, 120 in. x 120 in., on a Janome 6500. I puddle the quilt and do sections at a time. Remember if you can quilt the center you can do the whole quilt. I spray baste the whole quilts and hand baste the edge all around.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast