Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Largest quilt you've quilted on your DSM

Blog Entries

Largest quilt you've quilted on your DSM

What is the largest quilt you've quilted on your DSM? Just curious.....I'm working on a 120 x 120 right now and I'm amazed that it is going so well.

I have never quilted on my DSM I have a long arm. I have always wanted to , maybe now is a good time to give it a try!

112" x 112". It was fine but I have to admit the batting was a bit thinner poly than I sometimes use. A thinner batting makes a world of difference!

120" X 100".

JulieM

Mine was 78 x 78 - on a Janome Horizon with an 11" harp. Blushing since I was complaining so much.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm working on a 110 x 120 on a Brother 1500 with a 9 inch throat. I've done a 90 x 95 on a regular little Brother with a 4.5 inch throat. I think both projects are beyond my skill level and plan to go smaller on the next quilt.

King size on my dinky Brother mechanical. It was stitch in the ditch on point so the middle was a struggle but very doable

I just did a 75 X 100 using a meandering pattern. I started in the middle and so it got progressively easier as I reached the edges. I was wishing I had a dedicated quilting machine when I was doing it. The quilt had flannel and corderoy in it and so it was rather thick. I used a cotton batting that required a max of 3" between quilting lines. It pleases me that I can make a quilt from start to finish.

Blog Entries
    roughly 120 x 120
    on a Janome MC660P

the machine handled the job just fine, but it weighed about a ton!
    my neck and back ache just remembering. LOL
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: [email protected]

Blog Entries
    Yes, I agree - It just wouldn't be "my" quilt if I "sent it out" for quilting. Although my stitching isn't the same as the stitching a LA can do, it is still OK and I feel like it is "my" quilt.

I've quilted a large quilt on my DSM set up on my quilt frame - can only do a 4" wide section at a time. Quilt was queen size.

I've done a 108" square quilt on my Juki TL98Q with few problems.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

I have personally only done up to a double size myself on my home machine, but I have a friend who has even done a king...nothing elaborate...just meandering...but still...that was a big quilt and I know she was quite sore after doing it....saves a lot of money though not having to pay a long-armer to quilt it.

You folks rock! I have only done a lap size on my Brother 1500. The larger ones I send out to the longarmers.

Blog Entries
    115" by 115" on my Kenmore UltraStitch (33 years young!). It was Dunsters' Diamond Log Cabin pattern, and came out awesome. I started with the centering the middle section on my backing, with a 50" square of batting under it, basted down. When I had that all quilted (SID around every log), I added the rest of the batting, the next round of diamond logs, basted and quilted that. Then added the next round of diamonds and the corners, quilted all that. Yep, had a sore back at the end, but it may have been from self-patting it! Now I feel fearless on the smaller quilts, hee hee.
    May your blessings be many, your troubles few and your fabric stash endless!

The largest I've done so far on my featherweight is an oversize throw - not quite twin size - with only the top and fleece as combo batting/backing.

Tried one of similar size that had a fairly high loft batting and decided I was not happy with how many pleats I was creating on the back so tied that one except for the borders.

Power Poster
    94X94 on my Bernina 440. It really went well as I quilted a quarter at a time in the harp.

90x90 on my Janome 11000. I did Leah Day's spiral knots on it. Felt like the darn thing was growing on one side as I was quilting on the other!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

120" by 120" and mine is on my king-sized bed now. As long as I have the weight of my quilt supported, I don't have any problems!
    Living a 1/4" from the edge

Have done a few that are 96x96 on Babylock Quilters Choice and they worked out fine. I try to not do FM on anything that large and stick to SID. The middle of the quilt is a challenge sometimes but once clear of this area it is not so bad. I would like a larger machine someday, for the time being this one is working good.

96 X 104 is the largest I've done so far without sandwiching and quilting in sections. That was on my Babylock with an 8" throat. Working in the very center of the quilt is tight but manageable and I do a lot of FMQ and meandering designs. I always use Warm & Natural or similar batting and that does make a difference. I'm really looking forward to quilting on my new Dreamweaver with the 11" throat. I've got one top ready to go that is 104 X 104. SOMEDAY I would love to own an HQ Sweet 16, but currently have no place for one.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

I feel the same way, sending a quilt out to be quilted is not my quilt. I have done all of mine myself. It can be a challenge for me. I have done some on by Baby Lock narrow throat, then bought a Janome with wider throat, much easier. Not sorry I spent the money for the Janome.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Mine was just a small crib size and a quilted diaper stacker. They turned out great and did it on my Singer dsm.

Power Poster
    I have quilted a king size roughly 110 x 110. It was a pieced basket block with sashing, and it was the first or second quilt that I machine quilted - all SID. I definitely learned a lot while I quilted it.

I stitched the ditch(sort of) on a Queen size quilt on my humble Kenmore with a 7 1/2" throat. This was a quilt made for a basset hound rescue auction before I really knew anything about quilting. A friend had some blocks already cut and she asked if I could put a quilt together. In my ignorant bliss I said I guessed I could. Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't have attempted quilting it on that machine. I did get it done-even made matching shams. It was won by a friend who uses it her spare bedroom. I cross my fingers every day that she never has to wash it...LOL.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast