Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laser Cut Patterns >

Laser Cut Patterns

Laser Cut Patterns

Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 AM

Default Laser Cut Patterns

Can someone explain to me just what is a laser cut pattern? How does it differ from a regular pattern? Trying to decide if I want to attempt a laser cut. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Can mean different things.
Often these are for raw edge applique. A regular pattern will be just paper. You get the fabric, iron on the fusible and use the paper patterns to draw the pieces on then cut them out yourself. A laser cut pattern is fabric all ready cut. The fusible has been applied to the fabric and then cut with a laser, so you just fuse them on.
Some companies offer laser cutting of fabric for specific quilt tops, like a DWR. I think John Flynn offers this service.
And finally, some sites offer laser cut acrylic templates. These are just regular acrylic templates that have been cut with a laser, often with guidelines etched in.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

What a nice explanation, PaperPrincess.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:52 AM

Although I do have a kit that is laser cut for piecing. It was a gift, as I usually don't buy kits.

From what I understand it is easier to cut multiple layers accurately and thus more efficient for the maker of whatever.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:01 PM

John Flynn's daughter, Katie, uses laser to cut fabric. (DOn't know her married name, sorry.) I contacted her for cutting fabric I purchased to laser cut for a DWR. She tells you how much you need to buy, you send it to her, and it comes back all cut and ready to go. You should know that the laser might leave a brown edge on light colored fabric. However, it's not a problem as it doesn't show on pieced work. I was very satisfied with the work done and would consider it again for a complicated (to me) pattern. I have no personal relationship with the company.