Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laser light question >

Laser light question

Laser light question

Old 12-27-2021, 06:14 PM

Default Laser light question

I'm thinking of purchasing a laser light (after market) to add to my sewing machine. For those of you who have one that came with your machine, or who added one later, how useful do you find this feature? Is it worth spending money on?

And, if you added one after market, which one do you recommend...

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2021, 07:53 PM

I use one on my longarm for pantos. What would be the purpose for a laser light on a DSM? I'm assuming you're talking about a DSM...?
Old 12-28-2021, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Three of my quilting friends have it on their high end sewing machines. They never use it. I bought one that can be installed on the machine and it did not help me enough to keep using it. Maybe if I used it all the time I would have liked it more. A guild member raves about her laser light. It is one of those things you have to try for yourself.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:25 AM

My machines have the lights and I use them all the time. The position of the light can be moved and the color changed to re, green or white depending on the color of fabrics. I can lift the top fabric and see right where the stitches will hit on the bottom piece.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:21 AM

I have one on my longarm and use it all the time. I bought one for my dms and found that it had to be in my line of vision to be helpful. It was always in the way. I got rid of it.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I use one on my longarm for pantos. What would be the purpose for a laser light on a DSM? I'm assuming you're talking about a DSM...?
Yes, I do mean on a DSM. I can see the value of one on a longarm for pantographs etc. but I'm not sure about an add-on one for a DSM. The ones I've looked at the criticisms seem to be that either it moves while sewing or it's in your line of sight... I think my money will stay in my wallet!