Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laser pointer for marking showing seam? >

Laser pointer for marking showing seam?

Laser pointer for marking showing seam?

Old 10-02-2016, 04:09 AM

Is the one at harbor freight the same as the one on loft site? If so good bargain at harbor.....
Old 10-02-2016, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I bought one but could not get it to work that way because of the way my machine is made. It angles back towards the needle, not straight down like most machines so the laser won't point the way I want. Because of the slant, I sew with my face tilted closer to the machine to see the needle, and was afraid what the light could do to my eyesight. I have seen it set up with a machine that is straight in front and it works great.
If you go to the site that sells that laser, you will see that there is a 360º swivel on it. That should make it work almost everywhere.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:31 AM

Just wondering....is the laser pointer safe for use on the newer computerized sewing machines?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I bought a laser level square. I use it to get a perfectly squared corners on my quilts.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
Just wondering....is the laser pointer safe for use on the newer computerized sewing machines?
Good question. I hope someone has an answer. :-)
Old 10-02-2016, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Some machines come with built in laser light so the light won't cause any harm. I wouldn't use a magnet to hold the light but what computerized machine has a metal housing anyway?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 AM
mac

Wow! That laser light is amazing. I'm going to have to out and get one, ASAP.

Thanks, for the website with the 11 hints to use common things for sewing. Great site. I was really impressed with the soap dish to use on the side of the sewing machine. Don't think it will work on my machines, but I still thought it was really clever.

The best hint for me (other than the laser light) was down in the comments. Someone said she used an icing knife to iron over. The first thing I thought of was using it to iron the French seams on pillow cases. For those not familiar with this process, you have to sew a seam on the front of the pillow case and then turn the case inside out and sew the second seam. When I am ironing the pillow case after turning it inside out (and before I sew the second seam) I like to iron the seam down, but I can never get the seam to fully come out and so I end up the extra fabric in the seam. Don't know if this is making any sense or not, but if I used a rounded icing knife to push the seam out and then iron on top of it (the knife) it would push the seam out fully. I hope that all made sense. But it is a great idea that I am going to try.

Last edited by mac; 10-02-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:16 AM

Geri B, the one at Harbor Freight is a Central Machinery brand.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
The one at Harbor Freight comes with an adhesive pad as one of the attachment options. Here is the product description:
Turn any saw into a laser-guided saw with this easy-to-use Laser Marker. The marker projects a crisp, clear laser line up to 9 ft. away. Adjust your line of cut quickly with the a 360 degree rotary head and tilt angle feature. The power tool laser marker can be mounted on almost any power tool using an adhesive pad, magnetic mount or screw mount.

Projects a crisp, clear laser line up to 9 ft. away
Acts as a guide to make accurate cuts
360° rotary head with tilt angle feature
Three mounting options: screw mount, adhesive pad, magnetic base

So it should be fine. I may have to get one as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post

French seams on pillow cases. For those not familiar with this process, you have to sew a seam on the front of the pillow case and then turn the case inside out and sew the second seam. When I am ironing the pillow case after turning it inside out (and before I sew the second seam) I like to iron the seam down, but I can never get the seam to fully come out and so I end up the extra fabric in the seam. Don't know if this is making any sense or not, but if I used a rounded icing knife to push the seam out and then iron on top of it (the knife) it would push the seam out fully. I hope that all made sense. But it is a great idea that I am going to try.
If you don't get those French seams turned correctly, you end up with threads sticking out of the seam on the right side. I try to make the first seam quite small, like 1/8 inch, then press the seam flat to one side. Sometimes it helps to press the seam over both ways. That will give you a crease on both sides so it will be easy to fold the right way. Then I trim the raw edge with ruler and rotary cutter if there are any little threads sticking out. Now the seam will be "clean" after it is sewn.