Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Last year I spent $$$ on quilting stuff

If you've seen the pictures I just posted of my re-organized stash you know I spent way more than you. I'm on a total fabric withdrawal, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Jo-Ann is having a sale on the 25th - OMG

Doesn't seem that excessive, but if you have a stash, why not use it and save some $$$ this year at the same time.

I try not to think about it!! Probably around $1,000 if retreats etc are added in. I usually go to around 6 retreats in a years time, plus AQS show and IMQA show in Kansas.

In november i joined the fabric moratorium so
    I Am using stash and only buying backing or batting, I also buy the minimum for swaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiecub
    Doesn't seem that excessive, but if you have a stash, why not use it and save some $$$ this year at the same time.

lol////I would rather do with food.....water...or gas...and be able to buy my quilting stuff....

I spend way too much as compared to what i actually finish, which is almost nothing. On the other hand, I don't have any actual guilt about it, because I like piddling around in my sewing room. It makes me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
    I save all my reciepts and at tax time I sort and add what I spend on food, fuel, medical and hobbies. Well I was amazed when I saw I spent $966 for my quilting alone. A third of that was for kits.(that are in my closet). No wonder I am on a fabric moratorium this year. I am doing good on that. I feel guilty that $ did not go to bills...

I will do better in 2011, frugal will be my middle name and will work from my stash. I will only ask for gift certificates for holidays and my birthday etc.
    I keep telling my kids I want gift certificates for any occasion. they are finally getting it. At 76 I pretty much have anything else I need or want. :-D

I have never added all my receipts up - you'd have to be standing by with a defibrilator! I am also trying to use up what I have and purchase limited amounts of new quilting supplies. There is a great sense of satisfaction from using stuff from your stash. Keep on trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathios
    It is hard to be frugal when you live in NH--so many fabric stores and great bargains as well. Do you live close enough to visit Marden's in Sanford Maine? Deadly.
    I have the opposite problem. I have nothing in my town so when I go somewhere that does I want to go crazy. I tell myself get it while you can once you get back home there is nothing.
    Robin in TX

Go with it while you can.
    Robin in TX

Blog Entries
    Lol...this is so funny!
    I BEG my kids and I have 4,every year to just go by joanns and get me a gift card. I don't care what you put on it I say. Just please get me one of those...And that has only happened from one kid one year.lol
    If our relatives only understood...they can't get us a better gift than to fund our shopping spree in the fabric stores!.lol
    Tammy

Could you tell us more about the longarm you bought? Brand? Model? Accessories? How u like it? Etc? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I (like everyone else here!) love to buy fabric. So I got a job teaching quilting at a LQS. It varies...some months I teach 1 or 2 classes, some months 5 or 6. This allows me to have some income, but, more importantly, it allows me to take tax deductions for the books, magazines and fabric I buy and the classes I take. I was even able to depreciate a percentage of my machine last year. I also get an employee discount when I buy thread, feet, bobbins, etc. and every little bit helps. Something to think about....

Dee
    This year I plan on using stash I have. However, today, Fabric.Com had good sales on and I only spent 45.00. I kept taking fabric off the cart. I say-I needed this. Don't have that in my stash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathios
    It is hard to be frugal when you live in NH--so many fabric stores and great bargains as well. Do you live close enough to visit Marden's in Sanford Maine? Deadly.
    Thanks for the tip. Will have to check this out when we are up in N.H. in August.

I don't want to know!

I allow about $25/week for quiltIng needs. I have also earmarked my tax return for quilting. I plan to buy a new machine that is lighter than my Bernina, and the accucut go. The reason for the expensive cutting system is to cut accurately. My eye movement is paralized and I am hoping this will cut better than I can.

Last year I spent more than that ... $600 on a new machine, and approximately $100 to $200 each month on quilting and other crafts I do ... this includes craft classes ...

I am now refusing to go into craft shops unless it is for something specific ... I won't go into a quilt store unless I have a plan too ... I have definitely got to get my spending undeer control ... I do know how you feel ...

Why do you want to know how much you spent on quilting stuff? Just enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    DH an I raised a family of 6 on a limited income; started keeping track long time ago and haven't gotten out of the habit. What it taught me was how much useless stuff is out there not to buy. I have a more than adequate stash now and want to keep my "fabric" weight under control, so I now set a $ limit and enjoy.

Hello,
    I go to Marden in Lewiston do they have material?

Unfortunately a lot of quilters and others with hobbies are under a budget crunch. Prices are going up on every thing from food to gas to necessities. That means our "wants" have to take a back seat. That does not mean we don't enjoy our hobbies. It just means we have to be more creative about how we get more fabric. I can see from the board that a lot of us gather, reuse, repurpose fabric. That is great.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63

I don't want to know what I spend in a year. I probably spent $2-300 just this last week with books 40% off at Joann's, ordering sale fabric for two projects, and a few tools and patterns this morning.

Blog Entries
    Well golly----if NH is a good spot to live if you quilt, hope my daughter and huggy build their home on the land they own there very soon!

I'm among those who have spent freely in the past, but now the time has come to make quilts...not buy fabric. Finished one this week from 24 ten-inch circus blocks so I am quite proud of myself!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast