Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laundry hamper for scraps? >

Laundry hamper for scraps?

Laundry hamper for scraps?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:52 AM

whatever works, Just don't mistake them for laundry. ha
Old 06-15-2016, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Hmmmm.. I like the idea, but when I cut my fabric my scraps are pressed and starched -- think I would rather store them flat so I don't have to do it again. I use a popup for my batting scraps, though.
what is a popup?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
what is a popup?
What was written about in some of the above posts. It collapses and then pops open to make a bin.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:24 AM

Great idea. I have and extra three section laundry hamper and didn't know what to do with it. Now if I can justs find a place to put it in my sewing room. It won't fit under the cutting table.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:30 AM

It would be a great idea (if you have the room). It is big enough that you could dig around in it without having to dump out to rummage it. A bit smaller idea is a box on it's side with a couple dividers in it.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:47 AM

I also use a laundry hamper they work great! and are always visible so when they start to overflow time to make scrap quilts!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:15 AM

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a plan. I have serious begun to consider making scrappy quilts and I'm trying to figure out the best way to store/separate them. I would not be able to put much under my table, although if I finished the projects I have stored in them, I do have a 3 drawer plastic cabinet type thing. I really need to sort/clean/reorganize my small sewing area that lives in my bedroom. I've been on a 2-3 year hiatus because of my right, of course shoulder; first a torn rotator cuff, then surgery to repair same, then finally a shoulder replacement a year ago, don't know why I waited so long. Now I'm nursing my left shoulder as I recently tore the rotator cuff in that arm. Thankfully I do not have another shoulder to fall apart, and I won't mention my knees. These are the golden years, or so I'm told.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:40 PM

A laundry sorting hamper might be perfect if you have and will use that many scraps.
When I first read your title, I thought it said something about "scrapes and hampers". It reminded me of something from my childhood. When my father married my first stepmother, she was a "crafty" person and being during the sixties, she decided to do our bathroom in a pink, black and white "Paris" motif. On the laundry hamper, which she had spray painted white, she glued crushed obsidian to it in the shape of a poodle! I hate to tell you how mush skin we all lost walking past that stupid hamper! She left it that way, until dad left her, because "It was sparkly". Crushed glass in a bathroom where people are normally naked! Crazy drunk broad. Lol! (Sorry, out of the way back machine now.)
Old 06-15-2016, 01:34 PM

I use that 3 section hamper for my laundry. If I ever filled it with scraps, I'd have to move! I use a small diameter but tall tin bucket like you would put long stemmed flowers in to collect my small scraps. When it is full, I sort them by color into zip baggies which I keep on a shelf for when I want to sew up a few scrappy strip blocks. My larger scraps are sorted by color into the plastic drawer bins. Since I make so many scrappy quilts, having them sorted by color works best for me. I use a dollar store plastic trash bin for the scraps too small for me to reuse and when it is full I dump it into a pillowcase. When the pillow case is full, I sew the end and have a dog bed for the shelter.