Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them?

Quote Originally Posted by jfowles View Post
    My son recently went to Hawaii and found a huge charm pack of Hawaiian prints, I measured them yesterday and they fall between 4 1/2 and 5 inches. I have the perfect pattern for then but now am afraid they won't work, we'll see. These were home cut, I always depend of the manufacturers' to be exact.
    Oh, I have some too, what are you going to make with yours? I'm all ears...
    Loretta Sewhappytoquilt

I purchased a 5 sq. in. die and a 2 1/2 inch strip die with my Accu Quilt Go. this way I have only myself to blame if I mess-up.
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

I'm disgusted with the idea of pre-cuts. Who wants to buy a charm pack when it contains one or two of every fabric in the selection? Or a jelly roll of the same? I prefer to pick the fabrics I want and coordinate them the way I want. I don't want a smidgen of each available. Then when it comes to a sashing or border or backing, back to the store you go. One of my favorite (used to be) It's A Stitch in Humble TX is going only to precuts...no yard goods. Lost my business...used to make road trips to go there. Had wonderful customer service and lots of choices...just makes me sick. Not happy about this at all. Forces you to go on-line....even though that is not my favorite purchase method. I don't mind ordering on line if I have first seen the fabric but I want to see more than a smidgen of it to decide. Hope all LQS aren't thinking of this....sad for me.

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfs View Post
    I'm disgusted with the idea of pre-cuts. Who wants to buy a charm pack when it contains one or two of every fabric in the selection?
    Lots of people...

It is okay if they are not for you- but they are VERY popular among quilters. It does seem very strange to not sell anything by the yard though. Does that quilt store expect everyone to piece their backings?

I only have experiernce with Moda 5 inch and they are precision in all the ones I use, my problem is that I usually have to buy extra ydg for some areas that use more than the 5 inch sq will allow. I cant pre wash to testfor shrinkage or color fastness and I still have to recut them for sizes on a lot of patterns, so when I use up my stash there will be NO MORE CHARMS!!!!! f have to recut anyway, I would rather just start from scratch looks like it goes faster to strip piece and fussy cut.
    pat design

Power Poster
    I don't buy pre-cuts so no opinion here. I am trying to quilt from my stash these days and just buy yardage to go with something I already have. If I wanted a variety of prints from a certain fabric line, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pre-cut package. If I needed to re-cut them it woldn't bother me.

If we buy precuts, we should NOT have to recut them ! Otherwise, why buy them ??

I have had NO problems with Moda precuts, I've used quite a few of all types in the last 3-4 yrs. Only once with a charm pack, ONE square was folded in and miscut. It was still larger than 5" though, I just retrimmed it.
    I have had several problems with charms and strips from OTHER makers, so I'm pretty wary of buying them ...
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 06-18-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfs View Post
    I'm disgusted with the idea of pre-cuts. Who wants to buy a charm pack when it contains one or two of every fabric in the selection? Or a jelly roll of the same? I prefer to pick the fabrics I want and coordinate them the way I want. I don't want a smidgen of each available. Then when it comes to a sashing or border or backing, back to the store you go. One of my favorite (used to be) It's A Stitch in Humble TX is going only to precuts...no yard goods. Lost my business...used to make road trips to go there. Had wonderful customer service and lots of choices...just makes me sick. Not happy about this at all. Forces you to go on-line....even though that is not my favorite purchase method. I don't mind ordering on line if I have first seen the fabric but I want to see more than a smidgen of it to decide. Hope all LQS aren't thinking of this....sad for me.
    Well to each their own with precuts, I LIKE them - because you get a sample of every fabric in the line - and very few shops even carry most of a line !

But - I was also sorry to see It's A Stitch is headed in that direction ... it was a very good quilt shop, always had great fabrics and patterns. Seems strange they're ending the quilt shop, since they have the other 2 sewing-only stores ? It was a long trip for me, but I always stopped in there and spent a lot of $$ when I was up on the north side. They've lost me as a customer too, sure won't drive that far just for precuts and I don't need a new machine! too bad ...
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 06-18-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Power Poster
    How/Where are the pinked edge squares measured?

I would expect ALL manufacturers to have a similar cut measure EXACTLY (well, within 1/100 of an inch or so) the same -

If it says "5 x 5" - I EXPECT it to be 5 x 5 - and all of the pieces to be the same!

Some people are able to compensate for wonkiness - buy why should one have to???

Would a newbie even think about possible unevenness? All a newbie would probably think of would be frustration - and swear off quilting - after just plain swearing when the pieces didn't go together well!

I don't buy precuts because I prefer to wash fabrics before cutting - but IF I did, I would want them to be the size stated (plus or minus a very small variation - one can only get something as accurate as a material allows)

My Mom had given me a couple of packs of charm squares (from quite a few years ago - they had straight cut edges - and were mail order - ) one piece shrank down to 4.5 x 5 -a few of them became diamonds instead of squares -
    Last edited by bearisgray; 06-18-2012 at 07:39 AM.

I always check the measurements and recut if necessary. I have only found one jelly roll that had a strip that wasn't cut straight. So far my charm packs and layer cakes and the rest of the jelly rolls have been cut correctly.

Banned
    I've been lucky so far, I think.
    I have several sets of the 10" squares, all Modas, I think.
    I have way too much fabric and never sure what it is til I start to use it.
    My problem is that I've yet to see any really neat way to use the 10" squares. And yes, I have visited the Moda recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

My Mom had given me a couple of packs of charm squares (from quite a few years ago - they had straight cut edges - and were mail order - ) one piece shrank down to 4.5 x 5 -a few of them became diamonds instead of squares -
    You can't expect them to be 5 x 5 after washing. All cotton fabric is sold unwashed, and pretty much any cotton product will shrink, often more in one direction from the other (hence the diamonds).

Banned
    Forgot to answer the question
    When I order specific cuts: e.g., 2 1/2" strips. 10" or 5" squares, tumbler packets etc. I expect to get what was advertised.
    If I don't, I consider the vendor dishonest and no longer deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I'm just a trusting soul. I kind of "eye ball" them & if they looked too wonky, I might measure them & take appropriate measures. So far mine have all been OK & I've ordered all kinds of precuts. Maybe one of these days I'll get a rude awakening but until then, I guess ignorance or trust is bliss!
    I do love your philosophy.

I usually cut my own...I've received a couple of honey buns as gifts, but haven't used them yet. I have too much fabric in my stash (according to my standards) so I'm using up what I can.

I haven't used them, but I think the general idea is prevention of much cutting. I think I'd just trust the size is accurate if I was going to make a project with them.
    :-)
    CAS

The only time I used precuts I ordered them from someone on the board who cut them for me..Great and accurate work!!

I don't use charm packs much anymore because I've had problems with them being inaccurate. Doesn't make sense to me to pay to have something pre-cut and then have to recut it. Just my own personal quirk.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    You can't expect them to be 5 x 5 after washing. All cotton fabric is sold unwashed, and pretty much any cotton product will shrink, often more in one direction from the other (hence the diamonds).

Really???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

And that does not bother you?

Blog Entries
    I don't intend to ever buy jelly rolls or charm packs again. I bought a Martelli No Slip Strip ruler and rotary cutter. I get perfect strips every cut. Well worth the money. If you sign up for their sales, you really get good buys.http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=STR

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I just don't worry about precision. I'm not exactly precise to start with so I know how to fudge things and make them look perfect on the right side. If you put the crooked part on the inside nobody can see it.
    You are my solemate.
    Happy quilting Grandma

I buy them fairly frequently so that I can get a little bit of everything without committing myself to yardage. I've never had any sort of problem with the sizes.

The only thing I dislike is when a manufacturer or seller slips a couple of really ugly fabrics into the mix - it's as if someone knew they were really ugly and wanted to get rid of them in a slightly sneaky kind of way!
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    There have been several threads lately about the (usually small) inaccuracies in the pre-cut fabric bundles that the fabric companies put out.

Which made me wonder... if you have a layer cake or charm pack, do you *count* on them being precision cut?

Or do you generally re-cut and trim them yourself, anyway?
    If I bought a pack (layer cake, charm pack or whatever) and the pieces were smaller than they claimed . . . or if they were cut crooked, I would NEVER buy from that manufacturer again. Would rather pay a little more, for something I can trust will be right.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

The Missouri Star Quilt Co. has at least two videos demonstrating quilts made with layer cakes - the 10 minute block and the other requires one cut (can't recall the name of the block exactly) for a slice and twist. Both quilts are really quick to construct for last minute gifts.
    Kay in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Really???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

And that does not bother you?
    No, it is a truth of the fabric world. Almost every pattern I have says "buy extra to account for shrinkage". Cotton shrinks and it is sold unwashed.

If my fabric needs to be prewashed for the pattern to work, I buy yardage. If I'm not prewashing, I may consider layer cakes or charms. I don't usually go smaller than a fat quarter though. I like Connecting Threads precuts, but Moda's are too expensive when you compare to the price of yard goods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast