Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them? >

Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them?

Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 AM

Default Don't like the charm squares.

Originally Posted by IraJane View Post
I also use them right out of the package and mostly use moda precuts. Love being able to have the fabrics cut and co-ordinated.
I have purchased several packs of them from different manufacturers and why pay good money for 5" squares when they are not 5" squares. Then I had to take my time to square them up leaving them somewhat shorter than 5". Nope! Not for me.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 AM

Moda have been very good. Joannes----NOT. Will not buy those again.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks View Post
I have bought charm packs from Connecting Threads and they have always been accuratly cut. I mix them with my own cut charms and they are the same. Good price and I get more variety in my scrappy quilts.
That being said, I bought some charms on ebay and they were not consistantly 5" and I couldn't use all of them.
I am a satisfied customer of CT and will buy from them again.
I love CT. Their charm packs are great at a good price. But, I also bought a 2-1/2" strip set and that was not good. There were at least a half dozen strips that were wonky or V-shaped. I emailed CT to advise them that I was not happy about having to alter the pattern I used the strips on because the strips were not to size. CT did the right thing by crediting my account. I think you need to be careful on any precuts. I've even had trouble with some FQs that weren't! But I continue buying them anyway. Glutton for punishment?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 AM

My cutting isn't really that good, so I figure they are about as accurate as I would be anway
Old 06-17-2012, 10:40 AM

I just use them as is.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jfowles View Post
My son recently went to Hawaii and found a huge charm pack of Hawaiian prints, I measured them yesterday and they fall between 4 1/2 and 5 inches. I have the perfect pattern for then but now am afraid they won't work, we'll see. These were home cut, I always depend of the manufacturers' to be exact.
Oh, I have some too, what are you going to make with yours? I'm all ears...
Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 PM

I purchased a 5 sq. in. die and a 2 1/2 inch strip die with my Accu Quilt Go. this way I have only myself to blame if I mess-up.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 AM

I'm disgusted with the idea of pre-cuts. Who wants to buy a charm pack when it contains one or two of every fabric in the selection? Or a jelly roll of the same? I prefer to pick the fabrics I want and coordinate them the way I want. I don't want a smidgen of each available. Then when it comes to a sashing or border or backing, back to the store you go. One of my favorite (used to be) It's A Stitch in Humble TX is going only to precuts...no yard goods. Lost my business...used to make road trips to go there. Had wonderful customer service and lots of choices...just makes me sick. Not happy about this at all. Forces you to go on-line....even though that is not my favorite purchase method. I don't mind ordering on line if I have first seen the fabric but I want to see more than a smidgen of it to decide. Hope all LQS aren't thinking of this....sad for me.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by simpsonfs View Post
I'm disgusted with the idea of pre-cuts. Who wants to buy a charm pack when it contains one or two of every fabric in the selection?
Lots of people...

It is okay if they are not for you- but they are VERY popular among quilters. It does seem very strange to not sell anything by the yard though. Does that quilt store expect everyone to piece their backings?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 AM

I only have experiernce with Moda 5 inch and they are precision in all the ones I use, my problem is that I usually have to buy extra ydg for some areas that use more than the 5 inch sq will allow. I cant pre wash to testfor shrinkage or color fastness and I still have to recut them for sizes on a lot of patterns, so when I use up my stash there will be NO MORE CHARMS!!!!! f have to recut anyway, I would rather just start from scratch looks like it goes faster to strip piece and fussy cut.