Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them? >

Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them?

Layer Cakes and Charms... use them as is, or re-cut them?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM

I haven't used them, but I think the general idea is prevention of much cutting. I think I'd just trust the size is accurate if I was going to make a project with them.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM

The only time I used precuts I ordered them from someone on the board who cut them for me..Great and accurate work!!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM

I don't use charm packs much anymore because I've had problems with them being inaccurate. Doesn't make sense to me to pay to have something pre-cut and then have to recut it. Just my own personal quirk.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
You can't expect them to be 5 x 5 after washing. All cotton fabric is sold unwashed, and pretty much any cotton product will shrink, often more in one direction from the other (hence the diamonds).

Really???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

And that does not bother you?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM

I don't intend to ever buy jelly rolls or charm packs again. I bought a Martelli No Slip Strip ruler and rotary cutter. I get perfect strips every cut. Well worth the money. If you sign up for their sales, you really get good buys.http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=STR
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I just don't worry about precision. I'm not exactly precise to start with so I know how to fudge things and make them look perfect on the right side. If you put the crooked part on the inside nobody can see it.
You are my solemate.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 PM

I buy them fairly frequently so that I can get a little bit of everything without committing myself to yardage. I've never had any sort of problem with the sizes.

The only thing I dislike is when a manufacturer or seller slips a couple of really ugly fabrics into the mix - it's as if someone knew they were really ugly and wanted to get rid of them in a slightly sneaky kind of way!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
There have been several threads lately about the (usually small) inaccuracies in the pre-cut fabric bundles that the fabric companies put out.

Which made me wonder... if you have a layer cake or charm pack, do you *count* on them being precision cut?

Or do you generally re-cut and trim them yourself, anyway?
If I bought a pack (layer cake, charm pack or whatever) and the pieces were smaller than they claimed . . . or if they were cut crooked, I would NEVER buy from that manufacturer again. Would rather pay a little more, for something I can trust will be right.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 AM

The Missouri Star Quilt Co. has at least two videos demonstrating quilts made with layer cakes - the 10 minute block and the other requires one cut (can't recall the name of the block exactly) for a slice and twist. Both quilts are really quick to construct for last minute gifts.
Kay in NJ
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Really???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

And that does not bother you?
No, it is a truth of the fabric world. Almost every pattern I have says "buy extra to account for shrinkage". Cotton shrinks and it is sold unwashed.

If my fabric needs to be prewashed for the pattern to work, I buy yardage. If I'm not prewashing, I may consider layer cakes or charms. I don't usually go smaller than a fat quarter though. I like Connecting Threads precuts, but Moda's are too expensive when you compare to the price of yard goods.