Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leah Day On Craftsy >

Leah Day On Craftsy

Leah Day On Craftsy

Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 PM

Default Leah Day On Craftsy

I just got an email about this class. Has anyone watched it? Does it have anything more to offer than what she already shows for free on her own website?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 AM

It would be great to do in conjunction with the BOM. Sorry, but I'm not going to buy the sampler for $18 a yard(you need 3 yards). I think it would be a great class to take.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 AM

Her free videos on her own website are very comprehensive. So why would you pay for one on Craftsy.....um, don't know...
Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM

It looks like the craftsy video she also teaches how she bastes and her quilt as you go method. I don't think she'd done free videos on either of those things.

This would also help you match specific designs to block areas. One problem I have with her website is figuring out HOW to use the designs and fit them into a quilt.

Plus, if you really enjoy her website, buying her class (or some of her books/patterns) supports her. If she can't make a living as a quilter, I imagine all the free videos won't be available forever.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Plus, if you really enjoy her website, buying her class (or some of her books/patterns) supports her. If she can't make a living as a quilter, I imagine all the free videos won't be available forever.

I completely agree. This is a very important point.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I completely agree. This is a very important point.
It is an important point. And why should she give it away for free-eventually? She has come a long way in her craft as have many others who charge for their teachings. I would do the same were I in her shoes. As for me? I am very thankful for all the members on this board who have given so kindly of their free advice, consultations, demonstrations, and not to mention a good dose of humor towards my quilting passion. I have learned so much on here, from a couple other top-name sites with tutorials, reading a few very good books, and the teachings of my mother and grandmother. I cannot afford to pay for classes from anyone. I am very appreciate of all the knowledge I can get for free and will continue to search for and peruse those sources.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM

If I had done the quilt along I would probably buy the class.

I agree about supporting her work. After I thought about it I can see the main benefit being the platform. You would get direct help from her through the class.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM

I' m taking her class. I have watched her free videos each week; but seldom get around to practicing what she teaches. I figure that if I pay for the lessons, I will actually do them. I made the Craftsy BOM quilt and I'd like to learn to quilt it as she did. I did think the sampler was very expensive; but I ordered it as I want to learn the FMQ very good before I actually use it on my quilt. Here, again, because I paid so much for it, I'll have to do my best work on it. I think I can learn FMQ through this course. I watched the lesson on how she makes a quilt sandwich. I' m going to use my old method of making a quilt sandwich; but when it comes to FMQ, I think I'll get my money's worth.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 PM

There is 50% off coupon for her Craftsy class on her website. I've signed up as I think it's good value with the money off. Not looked at it all yet.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
It looks like the craftsy video she also teaches how she bastes and her quilt as you go method. I don't think she'd done free videos on either of those things.
She does have a free video on her site for qayg (and it's a very good one I might add ) Don't remember about the basting part, and I agree with the point about supporting her because I've gotten so much information from her for free!