Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lean quilting >

Lean quilting

Lean quilting

Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 AM

OOPS! Edie
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Banned

I have sewed since I was 14 self taught. Started out out doll clothes and dolls.Then started making quilts. I am in my 50's and just past yr I have taken two classes at a quilt shop. I was not impressed at all and thought it was a waste of money , The teacher in one class wasn't even back in the class room much to help mainly gave me the pattern and left went back to front of her shop and checked on us few times. I thought this was a waste. The other class I took , again was not impressed. I feel like there is good classes to be taken out there but I have not had much luck finding one though. I have several quilt friends we share and help each other that is worth more then any two classes I have attended in my life.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:46 AM

OSMOSIS. From watching my mother, 4-H sewing, boredom when living away from home (homesickness).
Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 AM

I taught myself for the most part. After stumbling with the process for weeks, I talked another quilter (secretary of one of my husband's colleagues) into evaluating my work. At first, she was reluctant but finally relented. She gave me lots of help, loaned me books, let me watch her, etc. All this helped me tremendously.

The best way to learn is just do it! If it isn't correct, rip it out and do it over. Eventually, you will catch on.

This website is marvellous for beginning quilters. So many tips - even for us experienced quilters.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 AM

I come from a quilting family. My grandmother was a master, I also have quilts from my great-aunts and my mother. I started putting together patches at a very early age. My first actual quilt was at 17. I have had mentors all my life, anything new I want to try I get of the internet and just go for it.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 AM

I tried to learn myself, but no patience ... so I put my dreams and quilting goals away and when I moved to OH, I found a LQS that taught classes ... I've had six classes (two top making/learning quilting classes, applique and paper piecing class, machine quilting and binding class).

I have learned a ton of information on this site ... as most of these folks show their quilts, share patterns (when free), give great directions, etc ...

I believe the best thing that has happened to me this year is I found this quilting board :D
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 AM

I learned to sew 38 years ago from my mom. She and I made a few quilts, she would do the hand quilting. I don't like to hand quilt. About 6 years ago I was unemployed and started hanging around two older women that quilted. One had a machine which I taught myself to use. We would meet every Tuesday and Saturday. Taking turns I did't get many finished. Then my brother bought me a machine on a 14' frame, Flo, she and I have been quilting since Oct 06 and I have finished dozens. The problem is I have tons of them left. Most of my family really don't care about the quilts. Each has one or two. My daughter loves them.
I give away plenty. I don't think I'll ever give it up unless my health gets bad. I quilted this morning before going to work.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 AM

Mostly self taught but with help from my mother. Actually, we are constantly teaching each other new found skills at quilting.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 AM

One class, and then self-taught.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 AM

My mother taught me to embroider when I was very young. Maybe 7 or8 . I still have the hoop she taught me on. Other than that she didn't sew. I remember making a bag when I was in homeec when I was about 9 or 10. It was on a treadle machine. But thats it. I made a quilt when my son was young and didn't know thats what I was doing.It was a copy of a hot air balloon shade he had. machine appliqued and outline machine quilted. lol
I always made my own clothes in middle school and high school. Circumstances changed then and I had to go live with my grandparents. Who were still living back in the 30's. So it was survival that I learned to sew. Other than a couple of homeec classes I taught my self.
Took one class back in the 80's from a lady named Ruth Brill in FL at the middle school at night. It was all hand done and hand quilted a sampler quilt. Let my daughter borrow it and never saw it again.
I have taken one machine quilting class but for health and money reasons have not been able to take anymore. There are no quilt guilds big enough to have teachers near enough to me for me to go. And traveling for classes is out right now.
Most of the classes they have at the quilt shops around me I am just not interested in. Sooo I use books the internet and this group to see new things. Others I just make up as I go along. lol