Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learn from my mistake...blue disappearing marker >

Learn from my mistake...blue disappearing marker

Learn from my mistake...blue disappearing marker

Old 02-16-2021, 05:37 AM

An early morning update on the storm...we awoke to find snow is up to the top of the rail fences in places, yet , l still have rural internet ( dish). So likely it was blowing up.
l wonder if others here find that the purple " air dissappearing" ink which fades within a few hours ( often just minutes!) does indeed return when quilt is cold. I've been using these exclusively when quilting charity quilts while in Florida. Now l'm quilting Linus quilts at home in Ont., and wonder. If so, how cold? A travel quilt left out in a car or trailer cold? chilly sunporch cold?
Old 02-16-2021, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Stitch678 ... I don't really have an answer for you as I haven't used the disappearing purple ones to any account. However, I do use the Frixion pens which can reappear in the cold as well. Sometimes that is ... I think using Best Press in the piecing process gives a protective coating to keep them from sinking in, and then having what's needed to reappear. Only a guess, but there definitely is an inconsistency. Instead of the iron to remove the Frixion markings, I have used a hair dryer/blower! I know some toss theirs into the dryer for the heat to remove.

As for the storm ... pretty much a nothing here. Little snow. No blow.
We had maybe 2" ... and I may be stretching that too!
Maybe because I am above the escarpment here?
Sunny and bright right now ... with a few flakes prettily drifting down.
Perfect day, right? ... well only if I get to the sewing room!!!!!
Old 02-16-2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Stitch678 ... I don't really have an answer for you as I haven't used the disappearing purple ones to any account. However, I do use the Frixion pens which can reappear in the cold as well. Sometimes that is ... I think using Best Press in the piecing process gives a protective coating to keep them from sinking in, and then having what's needed to reappear. Only a guess, but there definitely is an inconsistency. Instead of the iron to remove the Frixion markings, I have used a hair dryer/blower! I know some toss theirs into the dryer for the heat to remove.

Interesting thought on the Best Press causing the marker to return. While I have not had problems with either the blue or purple markers, I had a horrible time getting UltraClean Crayola Markers out of a customer quilt (green on tan). It was a large diamond in a baby quilt and she asked me to do farm animal designs in that center. It was cut on bias but didn't have any stretch which should have tipped me off that she'd starch it. I'm always wondered if the starch caused the green marker to just not come out. What a nightmare!. After I took it off the frame I zigzagged the edges (I didn't have her binding)and then washed in machine--1st with just water; then with water and Grandma's Stain Remover on the lines; then with mild detergent. Then I used blue Dawn and let soak in cold water overnight. Finally it was gone. Gave the customer a free quilting for all the hassle and gave the markers to my grandsons.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Interesting thought on the Best Press causing the marker to return. While I have not had problems with either the blue or purple markers, I had a horrible time getting UltraClean Crayola Markers out of a customer quilt (green on tan). It was a large diamond in a baby quilt and she asked me to do farm animal designs in that center. It was cut on bias but didn't have any stretch which should have tipped me off that she'd starch it. I'm always wondered if the starch caused the green marker to just not come out. What a nightmare!. After I took it off the frame I zigzagged the edges (I didn't have her binding)and then washed in machine--1st with just water; then with water and Grandma's Stain Remover on the lines; then with mild detergent. Then I used blue Dawn and let soak in cold water overnight. Finally it was gone. Gave the customer a free quilting for all the hassle and gave the markers to my grandsons.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Interesting thought on the Best Press causing the marker to return................
Actually, I was thinking the other way .... that the BP creates a coating and the Frixion does not sink in, in the same way, then does not return when cold. I really don't know but that is the only thing I have been able to put it to. OUCH about your experience with your customer's quilt.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:12 AM

Here in Northern Indiana, we had 9-12 inches of snow, got blown around, depending on where you measured it. Toward Chicago it was 17 inches.
The only thing that disappeared around here was a squirrel when he jumped down off a tree into the snow. He did pop back up and made it to the bird feeder where he helped himself.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:43 AM

I used to use the disappearing ink markers for a long time, then heard of problems with the ink reappearing. So I switched to water soluble markers about 15 years ago, have never had problems with them. I used to spray the marks as I finished quilting an area, but now I just wait until I'm done and rinse the entire quilt in the washer. Works great.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:46 AM

Ouch! Maybe a blotter with something like a color drawing base will pull it out. You may have to be a bit creative with this one. I a so sorry this has happened to your quilt.
As far as the snow goes. I have had my share and it is finally starting to melt off some. We were blessed that we did not get as much as many others but be got our share. Now the ice is another story. It will take weeks to see that all gone.