Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
learned a couple things about my Accuquilt at the KCRegional Quilt Fest >

learned a couple things about my Accuquilt at the KCRegional Quilt Fest

learned a couple things about my Accuquilt at the KCRegional Quilt Fest

Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Default learned a couple things about my Accuquilt at the KCRegional Quilt Fest

Talking to a vendor selling Accuquilts at the KC Regional Quilt Fest she gave me a couple of suggestions on how to save some $$ on mats that sounded pretty darn good!

First, she had one of those cutting mat cleaners--the round ones with a handle on top--that you see in catalogs like Nancy's Notions or Annies. She would run it over her mats several times to smooth out those cut lines that develop after repeated use (which is a big problem for me on the longer strip dies).

Second suggestion was to take the long strip mats that have developed splits from repeated usage and actually cut along the split. then she said you can use it on that die that has the 1", 1.5", and 2" die for just the actual cut you are wanting, without having to manipulate your fabric for just the one size. She also said you can use it on the 2.5" die when you aren't wanting 3 strips cut of a particular fabric.

So glad to find a way to reduce the cost of using my Accuquilt since the mats are what keeps costing, thought you might like these ideas too.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 PM

Great information.

I recently went to an accuquilt class and what I learned was that you want the lengthwise grain of the fabric to be parallel with your body (assuming you are standing next to the handle). This will reduce any possible stretch when it is fed into the cutter.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing those tips
Old 07-04-2017, 04:39 AM

Thanks for sharing! Great tips!
Old 07-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I covered a cracked mat with duct tape when I forgot to bring a new one to a sew day and it worked fine. A honing stone will smooth the cutting mat.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:19 PM

Great tips!

I do use a sticky lint roller on my mats sometimes but I will need to look up the roller you are talking about in the catalogues. I also have numbered my ends and sides on the mats and flip them over from end-to-end or side-to-side. I do have some little pieces that I use sometimes but I don't like the rough edge so I will need to try the honing stone after I look it up to see exactly what it is. Lol! I think of a honing stone as the blade sharpener in the garage.

I have a long die mat that soon needs to be replaced and will remember to cut it for other sizes too.

In August, I am going to a class with an Accuquilt person at my LQS. Part of the class will be showing us how to look at a pattern and figure which dies to use. I'm pretty good at this but I am hoping to learn an easier method.

Connie
Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 AM

I really like using my GO but I do think they are horribly expensive and sometimes they just won't last. I used my GO 2.5" multiple cutter for about a few weeks and then it wouldn't work anymore. I like your idea about cutting up the mats for other uses for the GO. We really have to be inventive to save money with this machine.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:42 AM

Love my go! Will try cutting the mats that are worn for more use out of them. I mostly use the 21/2" strip die, have a lot of scraps in the RV right now, may try to cup some other shapes for different blocks. I never get as many layers of strips at one time that they say you can get. Did I mention that with all of the faults...I just love it?...!!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Great tips. I will have to try some.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I think my Go is as important as my sewing machine. I keep a good supply of new mats the same as I keep spools of thread for my machine.