Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning Free Motion Quilting >

Learning Free Motion Quilting

Learning Free Motion Quilting

Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 PM

The best class I ever took was a serging class where we made a booklet that we could use in the future. We made notes on the settings, feet and type of thread we were to use. We ended up with a sample and everything we needed was there when we went back to it in the future. I have used this booklet many many times.

I have taken classes where I could do it in the class but by time I went back to try I couldn't remember anything.

Quilterfay In Saskatchewan
Old 09-03-2011, 04:13 PM

I have an old New Home machine and I just finished a baby quilt. This was my first FMQ. I read alot of posts from this quilt site. The one that helped me the most was from Colleen53. She and her husband purchased a "plug in" dimmer switch that would allow her to go at her own speed. I don't have a speed control on my machine. I bought a table lamp dimmer switch that is on page 5 & 6 of the following post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142428-1.htm
Some said they wouldn't use it on a computerized machine. But it worked great for me and you may want to check it out.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:18 PM

One of the most valuable things I learned in a FMQ class was how to clean your machine (we were all advised to bring pipecleaners, Q-tips and sewing machine oil [the oil is used on the Q-tip to make the dust cling to it]).

The importance of comfort (pillow on your seat, partly to elevate you and partly to cushion you), and relaxation -- recommended glass of wine (preferably white), music (to help establish a rhythm).
Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by schaffers
I think one of the most important things for someone to learn is to "Just Do It" Too many people are afraid that their work won't be perfect that they are afraid to try. I think this board shows that we all have to start somewhere. Most people that don't quilt won't know what it "should" look like. They simply appreciate your work. Just Quilt!
just what i wanted to say! Also, for me, i found having my sewing table a bit lower kept me from scrunching my shoulders and tensing up.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:58 PM

I do not know you - so I feel safe mentioning this one point that irks me time after time. Every now and then I take a class and occasionally I am amazed and annoyed that the instructor seems to favor just a few students. Everyone pays for the class and should get the same attention as those favored students. This is my pet peeve.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 PM

This may be imposible to teach, but just thought I'd get your thoughts - - - I'd like to know how to come up with designs to best fill the quilt. I like to do more than meander, it does have it's place, and very important to learn, but when you want to go beyond the basic, where / how does one come up with the designs to fill a quilt?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Some people find loops easier than others. I was advised to start fmq with lelelele loops, but it did not suit me and I was always disappointed. I like the 'r' curves better. Some people like meandering better. In a class, I would like a choice of patterns to start with, not just one.

Would definitely like some ergonomics as well, because I tense up so much. The basics on seat vs table height, supporting quilt weight, etc, plus specifics on stretches that help ease shoulders and hands- that would be a nice 'waker upper' to intersperse through the class.

Also, as someone already said, tips on removing basting pins- I often feel I take too many out too soon, but I hate having them in my way too!

Finally, tips on how the fmq pattern should (or need not) fit with the piecing- how to deal with areas with lots of seams, should an angular pattern have curvy quilting? What areas of the top need denser quilting? Etc

Good luck with the class.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
These suggestions have helped me even though I cannot take your class - thanks for asking the QB!
I have been practicing FMQ on quilt sandwiches made from old, orphaned pillowcases and contrasting thread. It's cheaper than muslim. When I run out, I plan to get more at Goodwill. Now if I could just find something less expensive than using up all this batting...
instead of expensive batting, how about old blankets or mattress toppers - well washed of course - to use as inexpensive batting. I have thought about cutting up our old wool Army balnkets for practing FMQ but DH isn't quite an enthusiastic as I am about that idea. So he bought me several old matress toppers to use instead for practice. Just a tip - hope it helps.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 PM

I was told to pratice on felt squares and it was great!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 PM

I posted the link below, a while back, and I wonder if it would give you any ideas? She is a well known teacher, and may have thought of things you haven't, or vice versa. Let me know if you have any other helpful gems of wisdom that will help me on my first attempt next week? I have no way to take a real class, so I am always grateful for any and all help.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-149201-1.htm