Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning Free Motion Quilting >

Learning Free Motion Quilting

Learning Free Motion Quilting

Old 09-03-2011, 05:32 AM

These suggestions have helped me even though I cannot take your class - thanks for asking the QB!
I have been practicing FMQ on quilt sandwiches made from old, orphaned pillowcases and contrasting thread. It's cheaper than muslim. When I run out, I plan to get more at Goodwill. Now if I could just find something less expensive than using up all this batting...
Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 AM

I think one of the most important things for someone to learn is to "Just Do It" Too many people are afraid that their work won't be perfect that they are afraid to try. I think this board shows that we all have to start somewhere. Most people that don't quilt won't know what it "should" look like. They simply appreciate your work. Just Quilt!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 AM

Spendj some time talking about how taut the backing and top fabric should be when getting ready to baste. Taut enough to bounce a coin? or just smooth with a little tension?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:05 AM

I'm self-taught FMQ but if I took a class, my main question would be --

how do I handle a large quilt?

Quilting on small squares is easy to learn. It's the slippage while dealing with a large quilt is my problem. Plus, with arthritis and fibromyalgia, it's almost impossible to do.

So, I've had to switch to QAYG techniques in order to do large quilts.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 AM

I'm doing my first FMQ in a heart design. Keeping a good, steady speed while feeding the quilt through is a challenge! There are some places where the needle skipped, but I'm taking heart that practice will help me get better. So, I'd say remind your students that, like everything else, they'll improve the more they do it!

Talk about thread tension. Above quilt has a double cotton batt which definitely affected the tension I'm using.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:47 AM

my teacher had things like the slider for us to try out and see the difference. I liked that.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:51 AM

1. practice every day for 15 minutes - see how much better you are at the end of 30 days.

2. WARM UP -- don't just "start" on your project - warm up your muscles first!

3. Doodle, doodle, doodle. When you are on the phone, waiting for kids at an event, wherever! Builds muscle memory.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:56 AM

I am learning now, but I am planning on taking a class soon. The visiting FMQ instructor has you print out designs from her website and trace them onto 1yd. sandwiches w/ the blue pattern markers. http://www.julieylambert.com/worksho..._markings1.htm

Another LQS has a yard of fabric, where they sew 12 separate squares on it, and then do 12 different types of FMQ.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by schaffers
I think one of the most important things for someone to learn is to "Just Do It" Too many people are afraid that their work won't be perfect that they are afraid to try. I think this board shows that we all have to start somewhere. Most people that don't quilt won't know what it "should" look like. They simply appreciate your work. Just Quilt!
Oh, yes, I think this is very true... most quilt recipients are not the 'quilt police'!

I once took a FMQ class from someone who had us put quilt blocks together, etc. About 98% of us were exhausted by the time it came to FMQ and couldn't even stay. The kit she sold had beautiful fabric and it was cute design but, basically, it was a waste of time for learning to FMQ.

A recent class I took from Barbara Shapel.

http://barbarashapel.com/

She taught us about threads and needles she prefers and then demonstrated and then, walked around and coached us. We all came to class with a 45" fabric sandwich well sprayed basted and pinned (per her directions), and ready to go. I learned so much that day and felt it was very much worth my time and money.

I wish you the best. :-D
Old 09-03-2011, 07:47 AM

Me Too!!!
Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I can't give you any ideas but just wanted to say I wish I lived in your area and could be in your class!