Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
learning to HAND applique! >

learning to HAND applique!

learning to HAND applique!

Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
At the risk of sounding like the quilt police, my advice would be to follow your teacher's advice and instructions.
What's the point in getting someone to show you how to do something and then not listening to what they have to say? You might as well teach yourself. You don't need to got out and buy 25 spools of silk thread to start with, just a couple; and it's not like straw needles cost an arm and a leg. Try her way and then make your own modifications later on.
the only reason I asked was because this is ALL she has ever used..she was not even sure there is other stuff out there..(she is 78) and we have NO quilt shop here, so I was going to look for other stuff at the quilt show on Friday. I have lots of different threads and now have the YLI silk and straw needles like she suggested using...but I also have other threads she is trying out right now...so far she loves the Masterpiece had me order her one of the "bobbin collections"!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 PM

All good suggestions. I love the fine threads and straw needles for hand applique'. My work improved greatly when I started using them. Good luck, you will love it once you learn. (I made my avatar, all hand applique and hand quilted)
Old 06-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Have a wonderful time & don't be fearful. Enjoy the process. I love hand work as a break from sitting behind the machine. Something to do while watching TV in the evening.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:17 PM

That's the way I learned. Silk thread is wonderful - it just melts into the fabric making it totally invisible. I also use straw needles. Very fine. Just relax and enjoy. It's alot of fun. Maybe a bit frustrating at first (as in most things!) but once you get the hang of it, it's very soothing. Also a great portable project.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
KLO

Silk thread does really do a nice job of disappearing. I only have two grays that I used when I did applique, one dark and one light, obviously using the light for lighter fabrics, etc. But of course as others said, you can use whatever you want or have on hand if it works for you.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

what did you all do for your first applique project?

I would love to do this quilt..and I KNOW..it is not meant to be a first project, but maybe just one block????

http://www.p3designs.com/gallery/
Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM

I use straw needles #11 because they fit my hand better that applique needles. I get better stitches. I also use 60 wt cotton thread. I like the silk, but couldn't keep my needle threaded. I would certainly use what the lady uses. Later you can figured out what works best for you. After I started needle-turn applique, that is all I have been doing. I love it. Enjoy learning.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM

You should use the thread and needles she suggests for the class. Just match the thread to the applique not the background. you'll find your stitches will improve as you go. This first block may just stay a block and then you'll move onto a quilt. Relax and enjoy!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Wow how fun, a new learning experience.. have fun and report back :)
Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I have a lady who is willing to teach me to do hand needle turn applique...she uses ONLY silk thread...is this a must???
also straw needles...

what do you all use..pro's, con's...
I love to do handwork, but applique the traditional way scares me to death!
I agree with your teacher! silk thread is great to use.. it just melts right into the background. The needles are grand too. Good luck with your appliqueing :)