Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left Handed Scissors >

Left Handed Scissors

Left Handed Scissors

Old 12-28-2020, 07:19 AM

I'm left handed too and I'd been given Fiskars right handed scissors at one time...gosh...they hurt! They would probably be great if they were molded for left-handers, but I had to throw the right handed ones away. Left handed scissors are hard for me to find locally. I've finally settled on scissors that are neutral and they work fine.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:08 AM

I'm left handed but have never been able to use left handed scissors, I've adapted using the right handed type.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:21 AM

Many years ago, my Mother-in-Law gave me a Gingher left-handed scissor. I guard it with my life. My husband and children learned early on, that nobody uses that scissor except me. I have only had it scharpened once in 30 years and still cuts like new. Another thing that is odd for left-handed folks, is knives. Because of the slant of the blade, anything you cut slants - especially bread. I could go on forever about things that don't work as well for left handers but It definitely is a right-handed world so we have to adapt. When you think about it, even cars have the main controls on the right, keyboards have more of the keys on the right, most doors are right handed. When we moved into our new townhome, we had a spray nozzle installed in the kitchen sink and that is on the right side-have found that is very awkward for me. Am just glad either of my kids is left-handed, but one of the grands is left-handed. Another whining.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

My young grandson is the only lefty in the family so I started to buy left hand scissors when I saw them. It's hard to find left hand school scissors for little hands. I cannot cut with left hand scissors so I know how he feels trying to use right hand scissors. His first grade teacher (her first year of teaching) actually told my daughter that he will need to learn to use right hand scissors in her class. He never went back to her classroom.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:01 PM

My 'true-lefty' Ginghers are about 20 years old now, and they still cut like new - it was a huge splurge for me at the time, but worth every penny. If they ever go missing, I'd really cry!
Old 12-28-2020, 02:15 PM

Zwillingis what it says on my left handed scissors. I have had them for a long time. I bought a ginger sharpening stone and It has instructions how to sharppen them.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
Another thing that is odd for left-handed folks, is knives. Because of the slant of the blade, anything you cut slants - especially bread. I could go on forever about things that don't work as well for left handers but It definitely is a right-handed world so we have to adapt. When you think about it, even cars have the main controls on the right, keyboards have more of the keys on the right, most doors are right handed.
I was curious about these points and my right-handed privilege, so I asked my husband, who is left-handed, about your comments and how he feels about living in a right-handed world. He said some knives are sharpened on a slant, depending on the intended use of the knife, but the majority the ones we own are on point so that doesn't bother him. American cars are built with the driver's side on the left, so there is actually more space on the right for controls; the opposite is true for British cars. He pointed out that right-handed doors are only right-handed on one side - if you are opening the door from the other side, it's left-handed. 😆 I'd never thought about that before, lol! He said being left-handed doesn't bother him nearly as much as living in a world made for short people. He's 6'3", he has a hard time fitting into most cars, airplane seats are super tight, shower heads hit him in the chest, his feet hang off the end of our (king!) bed, chairs/couches are too short and shallow for him to relax... I guess we all have our crosses to bear. 😉
Old 12-28-2020, 03:23 PM

Ha, that's funny Peckish! My 6'1" hubby would agree. I however, as an official shortie (5'1" on a good day) have a great need for said tallness! Especially in the kitchen, dang shelves are made for giants, not 'normal height' folks like me! I guess it's not so much fitting into a right-handed world, it's having the few tools that *need* to be, be left-handed or at least left-friendly.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:09 PM

I consider myself a "lefty". Was 9 years old when I switched to eating with my right hand so no one would
bump me. Learned to knit, crochet and tat by following pictures in a "Learn How" book. Mostly I use my left hand for handstitching. Cut fabric/paper with my right hand because it is easier for me. Shorthand teacher in high school told me I could not write shorthand and showed her she was wrong. Passed my 120 words for 5 minute test without a problem. Told second grade teacher I turn my paper the opposite direction to what right-handed people do when righting. Be adjustable is my motto!
Old 12-29-2020, 05:11 AM

Kai scissors are made in China. Fiskars are made in Finland.