Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left Handed >

Left Handed

Left Handed

Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 AM

This thread reminded me of my wonderful and dear grandmother who was left handed. She was forced to learn to write with her right hand and actually wrote with both hands. Amazingly my right handed handwriting looks just like her left handed writing. She crocheted "backwards" and said that no matter how many times people tried to copy her work, especially the crocheted slippers she made, no one could ever do it successfully.

She taught me to crochet and to sew and I am pretty sure that I learned some of her left handed "techniques." Sometimes I hand stitch one way and sometimes the other way. At some point I noticed that bows that I tie are always upside down and I am pretty sure that she must have taught me. It turned out well, though. I can tie bows upside down, right side up and backwards and forwards!

Gosh, I miss her so much still today.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:10 AM

There is a left handed store in Toronto. They are online. Just Google Sinister Shop. I do everything left handed except some crafts. When you only have a right handed teacher...you learn to do right handed. Some things can be adapted but others can't.

I once read that everyone is born right handed but only the gifted overcome it.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflower7
I once read that everyone is born right handed but only the gifted overcome it.
Isn't that true! Look at how many things we lefties have learned to do with our right hands because our gifted minds can adapt. Most of us are pretty much ambidextrous. How much can most right-handed people do with their left hand?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM

I am a lefty too and I sure wish they would make left handed rulers too
Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by CLMQuilter
I am a lefty too and I sure wish they would make left handed rulers too
I'm sorry, but I don't see how a ruler can be considered left or right handed. Being a very-much left handed person, I see no problem with any ruler that I have. I also have a rotary cutter that can be used either left or right handed, which to me is better than having one that is dedicated to only one hand. What am I missing here?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 PM

I have a left handed husband and daughter. My husband's biggest complaint is scissors and my daughter's is instructions of all kinds! I feel for left handers.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:21 AM

I am also a lefty. I have two pairs of Gingher "left-handed" scissors and love them. No problem. Just DO NOT left a righty use them.
I don't seem to have problems with the rotary cutter has I can change the blade to the appropiate side.

You know besides being in our right mind, they say we are more artistic.

To all of you, have a great Christmas, Holiday.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 AM

Thank you for this information. I'm a righty but I have a 4 year old granddaughter that is a lefty. I'm ordering her her own scissors now. I never thought about it. Duh! I know.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I'm right handed but used to sit in my school desk seat facing the opening, with my legs out. i turned my paper so the top would be facing the left and the side toward me. it was the only way I could write in the small desk space.
my son is left handed.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Try crocheting left-handed......lol! I taught myself by reading the instructions and doing it backwards however I could never learn to crochet that smallest crochet thread until I sat down with my MIL and watched her crotchet slowly right handed and followed along with her movements left handed......I was off and running then......that amazed me....