Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Left Handed

I have a nephew who is left handed. Growing up he would get frustrated trying to do things with his left hand that was for righties only. He swore he was going to open a store called Lefties R Us. Everything in the store for left handed people only. I wonder how well it would have done if he had opened a store like that.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    [quote=redrummy] I don't write upside down. I turn my paper and write as righties write, just with my left hand. Do any of you?

I am the same way.

I have just done things the way that feels "natural" to me - removing pins with my left hand (they point to the right) was something I didn't even know was not the norm! Quilting doesn't seem to give me many troubles, but when I taught myself to crochet - that took some effort! EVERYTHING had to be done the opposite of what was described. I'd say other things in life are more of a hassle than quilting - ladles with the pour spout on the wrong side??!! How about serrated knives with the serrrated edge only on one side - the WRONG side??!!!

I've seen our President signing documents with his left hand. Googling "left handed" give some very interesting tidbits - famous people, etc.

Conversation over dinner:

A husband asks his wife, "Honey, if I died, would you remarry?"
    "After a considerable period of grieving, I guess I would. We all need companionship."

"If I died and you remarried," the husband asks, "would he live in this house?"
    "We've spent a lot of money getting this house just the way we want it. I'm not going to get rid of my house. I guess he would."

"If I died and you remarried, and he lived in this house," the husband asks, "would he sleep in our bed?"
    "Well, the bed is brand new, and it cost us $2000. It's going to last a long time, so I guess he would."

"If I died and you remarried, and he lived in this house and slept in our bed, would he use my golf clubs?"
    "Oh, no!" the wife replies. "He's left-handed!"

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I never fully realized all of the issues until my step son came into my life. I watched him struggle in a right handers world. I thought by now there would be better left handed products. He still complains about finding good scissors...
    My old iron was set up for both, the cord came out of the back, not the side.
    try the spring action scissors.. they are razor sharp without using pressure of the "left right thing".. they may be what you need.

I'm a lefty forced to use my right hand. I deal a deck of cards with my left and wield hammers, screwdrivers and the like with my left hand. I use my right to cook and both to sew and quilt.

As for scissors I use the softtouch by fiskers. These I can switch from hand to hand with no problem. I use grey handled ones for sewing and blue ones for paper. I use the fiskers rotary cutter for right handed people in my left hand. It's a bit awkward to hold and avoid retracting the blade. I'll look into the Martinelli left handed rotary cutter.

This thread reminded me of my wonderful and dear grandmother who was left handed. She was forced to learn to write with her right hand and actually wrote with both hands. Amazingly my right handed handwriting looks just like her left handed writing. She crocheted "backwards" and said that no matter how many times people tried to copy her work, especially the crocheted slippers she made, no one could ever do it successfully.

She taught me to crochet and to sew and I am pretty sure that I learned some of her left handed "techniques." Sometimes I hand stitch one way and sometimes the other way. At some point I noticed that bows that I tie are always upside down and I am pretty sure that she must have taught me. It turned out well, though. I can tie bows upside down, right side up and backwards and forwards!

Gosh, I miss her so much still today.

There is a left handed store in Toronto. They are online. Just Google Sinister Shop. I do everything left handed except some crafts. When you only have a right handed teacher...you learn to do right handed. Some things can be adapted but others can't.

I once read that everyone is born right handed but only the gifted overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower7
    I once read that everyone is born right handed but only the gifted overcome it.
    Isn't that true! Look at how many things we lefties have learned to do with our right hands because our gifted minds can adapt. Most of us are pretty much ambidextrous. How much can most right-handed people do with their left hand?

I am a lefty too and I sure wish they would make left handed rulers too

Quote Originally Posted by CLMQuilter
    I am a lefty too and I sure wish they would make left handed rulers too
    I'm sorry, but I don't see how a ruler can be considered left or right handed. Being a very-much left handed person, I see no problem with any ruler that I have. I also have a rotary cutter that can be used either left or right handed, which to me is better than having one that is dedicated to only one hand. What am I missing here?

I have a left handed husband and daughter. My husband's biggest complaint is scissors and my daughter's is instructions of all kinds! I feel for left handers.

I am also a lefty. I have two pairs of Gingher "left-handed" scissors and love them. No problem. Just DO NOT left a righty use them.
    I don't seem to have problems with the rotary cutter has I can change the blade to the appropiate side.

You know besides being in our right mind, they say we are more artistic.

To all of you, have a great Christmas, Holiday.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Thank you for this information. I'm a righty but I have a 4 year old granddaughter that is a lefty. I'm ordering her her own scissors now. I never thought about it. Duh! I know.

Blog Entries
    I'm right handed but used to sit in my school desk seat facing the opening, with my legs out. i turned my paper so the top would be facing the left and the side toward me. it was the only way I could write in the small desk space.
    my son is left handed.

Try crocheting left-handed......lol! I taught myself by reading the instructions and doing it backwards however I could never learn to crochet that smallest crochet thread until I sat down with my MIL and watched her crotchet slowly right handed and followed along with her movements left handed......I was off and running then......that amazed me....

Also a lot of left-handed people write with their hand curved inward......I curve mine out.....I know strange...lol!

hey folks i'm either or an have tried my best to stat that way.cause god forbid if something ever happen to my right hand.i was not going to just be thrown into thelefties world
    blind folded.i have nothing againt anybody who is left handed
    i think as the saying goes they are in there right mind an i've said it more than once.an as it is looking i just might get to use some of my left handed writing an stuff for i do believe my grand son born this spring is a lefty :thumbup: an i'll fight tooth an toenail to keep him that way if he is.because i don't see trying to change someone when that is the way it was ment to be.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy
    "....grand son born this spring is a lefty :thumbup: an i'll fight tooth an toenail to keep him that way if he is.because i don't see trying to change someone when that is the way it was ment to be.
    Please do make certain that no one tries to change him because my mother had tried it with my brother (who is older than I am) and the doctor really chewed her out for it. He said let the child alone or you could possibly mess up his mind. So when I came along and started being left-handed, she didn't bother trying to change me.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I was in the book store Barnes & Noble and they have a daily desk callendar for lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by marlet
    Please do make certain that no one tries to change him because my mother had tried it with my brother (who is older than I am) and the doctor really chewed her out for it. He said let the child alone or you could possibly mess up his mind. So when I came along and started being left-handed, she didn't bother trying to change me.
    My sister was a lefty and she had to repeat the 4th grade (back in the 60's) because her teacher spent the whole year trying to get her to write with her right hand so she missed learning the actual work.

My sister, who is left handed and lives in Michigan, was at her lqs and the owner said that she is also left-handed and there is a thread that is especially meant for left-handed quilters. Does this sound logical to any of you?

I also am left handed. Yes, I feel the same way about my pins. I actually use my left hand to remove the pins and try to keep a small round table next to my sewing table for my pincushion or pin box and scissors because I am always fighting the fabric to locate them. OMG, I am so glad others feel my frustration.

And scissor, I have finally found a really nice pair of scissors that cut using my left hand (I know right!) and I have them hidden so all the right-handers can't get them!

I curve my hand out while writing as well. Glad to see someone else does too. So happy!!

Both my parents are left handed, but I am the only child out of 4 of us that is LH. My mom always curved her hand in when she wrote but I never did that. I think I am truly ampidextrious. I have no issues with the rulers, scissors, rotary cutters or mats. I can cut with either hand or on either side of the mat. I crochet & cross stitch left handed but knit right handed. I throw & catch balls right handed also. The only think I consistently use my LH is for writing & eating.

My dad is LH and so is my DIL. She had never used LH scissors until I bought them for her. She was amazed. She is a surgeon and I think that must be the most difficult because surgical tools are right handed.

Maybe I should have been LH because I do several things LH without even thinking about it. I can use a rotary cutter with either hand. I can pin and unpin with either. It was pointed out to me years ago at work that I did things "backward" for a right handed person.

But, I know nothing about LH thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast