Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
left over batting >

left over batting

left over batting

Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 AM

I use to throw away the left overs from quilts. Then I someone wrote how the scraps add up and the cost is there. So i've started saving anything more than what I call a snibble. I've done a quick whip stitch to hold them, but have also found if the quilting is fairly close, that isn't needed. I've also started to do some quilts in the QAYG method which is perfect for using up those 15" width scraps. Everyone above is correct in that you really cannot tell where they are joined after the quilt is quilted and washed. I try not to think of all the batting I use to just toss. Shudder....
Old 08-14-2014, 01:46 PM

I always piece my batting. To get a clean edge to butt up against each other I overlap the edges slightly and then cut through both layers. The edges now align perfectly. I whip stitch mine together by hand. It doesn't take that long when you lay it on a flat surface and for me is easier than trying to keep things together zig zaggin on the machine. You can buy tape for this purpose as well but it is pricey and I would rather spend my money on fabric.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 AM

Another way to butt pieces of batting together is to use the flatlocking feature on the serger. The tape is great, too. Mmm, I will try Elmer's glue suggested earlier...a new use for Elmer's glue, lol.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 AM

On small items, like a pillow top, I don't even stitch them together. Just butt the straight edges together, pin paste, and quilt. The quilting will keep the batting in place.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:40 AM

Yes, you can piece them together. I do it all the time and use the iron-on tape. Absolutely no problems with it holding up.
I've saved may a dollar buy piecing batting.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 AM

Yes, you absolutely can. I use a zig-zag with a broken stitch, not a straight zig-zag. The straight one leaves a ridge where the broken one lays nice and flat. I hope you know what I mean by the broken one.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM

I keep most all my batting leftovers these days. I'll use the iron tape as I have lots of it on hand right now and as I cut my pieces off a finished quilt and I have the iron on anyway, I'll go ahead and piece them onto batting I've been piecing together. Once I get a decent size, I mark it with the size so when I'm looking for batting I check my rack for what sizes I have already before I go to my bolt of batting to cut. When there's more tape than batting I call it finished and toss it. That rarely happens though.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Yes, as the others have said there are many ways to put together pieces for a larger quilt. I like to keep all my scraps for when I want to make table runners, bags, mug rugs and Christmas decorations. I hate cutting into a new batting roll for small projects so having scraps handy is always good.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

ABSOLUTELY. I have always used left over pieces of batting, laid one edge over the other, then used a rotary cutter to cut a straight line, then using a large zig-zag stitch piece them together I know there is an iron on product out there where you place on separate pieces of batting, then ironed on this tape to hold it together; but that's not always available when I need it, so I use the zig-zag stitch method, and it's worked well for me for years. Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
I agree!! I sew batting together all the time. I have also used this

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...r__D21128.HTML

which is pretty slick.
I have a question about this, I know that Poly batting will melt if ironed, is it ok to iron 80/20 batting will the Poly in it melt?