Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$5.00 find...need help with a tiny hole repair >

$5.00 find...need help with a tiny hole repair

$5.00 find...need help with a tiny hole repair

Old 08-16-2014, 06:15 AM

Default $5.00 find...need help with a tiny hole repair

I found this in a thrift shop for $5.00 - the picture does not show its justice...its made very well, hand quilted. One problem...I did not see in the store. it has a tiny hole. I bought it to make it into a bag, but once I looked it over...its too nice to cut it up. The binding it the birthing type and the edges are slightly worn so I will put on a binding....but the little hole...Yikes...not sure what to do. Its in a spot that will be seen. Need an idea that will look like it belongs. I would hate to ruin this Queen hand quilted quilt. I have cats so may give it to my folks if I can fix it. They do not have animals.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]487788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]487789[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-14-copy-2.jpg   photo-14.jpg   photo-14-copy.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I found this in a thrift shop for $5.00 - the picture does not show its justice...its made very well, hand quilted. One problem...I did not see in the store. it has a tiny hole. I bought it to make it into a bag, but once I looked it over...its too nice to cut it up. The binding it the birthing type and the edges are slightly worn so I will put on a binding....but the little hole...Yikes...not sure what to do. Its in a spot that will be seen. Need an idea that will look like it belongs. I would hate to ruin this Queen hand quilted quilt. I have cats so may give it to my folks if I can fix it. They do not have animals.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]487788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]487789[/ATTACH]
The hole looks to be heart shaped. I'd take that as a clue adn embroider a pastel heart using that shape. It's going to show, but it will not detract from the quilt.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:22 AM

I agree - only i would probably just use a matching white fabric for the applique so that it would show less.- the shape is your choice - a heart might be nice though - then you could add a label to the back with info about the quilt find and the "fixes" (like added binding) that you did. I bet your folks would be so tickled with it.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 AM

Love the idea of using a heart and I do have a small heart die. I agree with the white, it will be there, but not so obvious...thank-you!!! I am going to see if I have any pale colors in my stash for the binding.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 AM

Yes, I would just patch with a matching fabric.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 AM

That's really pretty! And in great condition, too.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Totally agree won't be so obvious just a subtle touch.
Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I agree - only i would probably just use a matching white fabric for the applique so that it would show less.- the shape is your choice - a heart might be nice though - then you could add a label to the back with info about the quilt find and the "fixes" (like added binding) that you did. I bet your folks would be so tickled with it.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I'd patch it with matching fabric, too.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

I am from the school that thinks the hole is part of the history of the quilt. Patch it and let it live! A repair on an old quilt will not ruin it. Just do a nice job giving the quilt the respect it deserves. A small repair is just one of the scars of living so long. It will not detract from the overall quilt.
peace
Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Our church quilters repaired a small hole in a quilt for a lady who wanted to give it to her grandson. We slipped a piece of wonder under into the hole and used a piece of fabric which matched as best as we could match it. Then we quilted over top and followed the original quilting, but we didn't stitch all the way through to the back. We just went through the top and the batting. It looked great and she was pleased.