Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Left overs

I am fairly new to quilting and have many trial and error blocks, what do you all do with your leftovers, I cant see throwing them away?

I make potholders or pin cushions out of them. I have a little stash of these for quick gifts, or sometimes just use them to adorn packages.

You could save them and make into a sampler quilt and donate to a charity. Pot holders and pillows are also good too

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I make potholders or pin cushions out of them. I have a little stash of these for quick gifts, or sometimes just use them to adorn packages.
    great ideas.

I make utility quilts with those. They are nice to have in the closet or car trunk for emergencies.

Sounds like a sampler quilt in the making.

I remember seeing a photo where another board member sews them to her reusable shopping bags from Wal-Mart / Walgreens. They were really cute -- I plan to do the same with mine. (someday)

Sometimes I make up a sample block to see how it turns out and also how easy or hard it goes together. I will use left over fabric for this and when I'm done with the block no matter what size it is I finish it just like a quilt. It has batting, backing and binding on it. I gave my sister a couple of them and she hangs them on her walls in her sewing room. I plan to do the same.

Blog Entries
    I used them to decorate my recycle shopping bags. You know those cheap ones you get from Wal-Mart, Joanne's and other stores. I sewed blocks to both sides of a Wal-Mart bag and gave it to the hostess of a dinner party. Filled it with a bottle of wine and a nice loaf of bread or homemade goody and it was a hit. She never thought about the ugly block. She thought it was so beautiful that it's now her favorite shopping bag. Recycle! What's ugly becomes beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Use them to make a scrappy quilt, potholders, table runners, etc.

Make scrappy quilts and give to the childrens hospitals, VA Hospitals, or nursing homes.

You could also make small lap quilts for nursing homes for the ones in wheelchairs.

Also you can paperpiece!

Craftybear

Depends on the sizes - cut 2-1/2 inch squares to use as leaders/enders to make scrappy 4-patches; longer, skinny pieces (at least 1 inch wide) use to make string quilts - you basically make a new piece of material to cut into whatever shape you want and use just like any other material.

I make test patterns into fat quarter pads for my dog's crate. She and I both think her pads are handsome looking and since they have padding inside they help keep her little-short-haired-self warm. If I put one on the floor or onto a chair she is sure I want her to lay down there and she does. I don't know which one of us is smarter or better trained.

Jois

I keep all my scraps (leftovers) for future scrap quilts, pot holders, tidy bags, etc.

At the moment I have one border left to sew on a crumb quilt. Take a peek at my blog to see what this is looking like! I plan to complete the quilt top tonight!

www.comfortcovedesigns.blogspot.com

All of the above. If yo don't want them, send them to others for their quilts.

Blog Entries
    What is a crumb quilt? And how do you make bags out of the plastic bags from Wal-mart, etc??

I have been thinking of using them as part of a quilt backing on my scrap quilts.

People at my quilt guild often ask for "orphan blocks" to use for making something. Right now they're making small soft pillows to give to mastectomy patients to use as they're healing. The pillows about 6-8 inches square and not stuffed too much. They need to be soft and malleable.

I learned at guild to use leftover blocks on the back of your quilt, and it does look neat. I have also sent a leftover block to a friend, or someone who I don't know that has done something nice for me.
    Marta

Crumb quilts in my area, (SE Kansas), are quilts you make with tiny pieces or any leftover scraps or pieces of quilts you have made. I used to call them scrap quilts, but now they are calling them Crumb quilts!
    Marta

I save them for scrappy or sampler blocks. I also use the small pieces of fabric. I cut them into pieces for another quilt. I have a neat pattern that uses 2 1/2" blocks,2 1/2 x 8" strips and 2 1/2 x 9 and then a a smaller strip and a block that I can't think of right now. I have one of those plastic boxes with the dividers so I cut all the pieces and then just put them in the box. When I think I have enough of a pile of pieces I start sewing then together and they have a little of every quilt I have made. They turn out one of a kind and very colorful. kjym Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I love making "mug rugs". They're any size of fabric I have left as sm. as 4" sq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kjym
    I save them for scrappy or sampler blocks. I also use the small pieces of fabric. I cut them into pieces for another quilt. I have a neat pattern that uses 2 1/2" blocks,2 1/2 x 8" strips and 2 1/2 x 9 and then a a smaller strip and a block that I can't think of right now. I have one of those plastic boxes with the dividers so I cut all the pieces and then just put them in the box. When I think I have enough of a pile of pieces I start sewing then together and they have a little of every quilt I have made. They turn out one of a kind and very colorful. kjym Kathy
    Would you upload a photo for us, I would love to see one.

I think she's talking about the cloth-looking reusable bags that Wal-Mart and many other stores are asking you to use instead of their plastic bags. Sewing blocks on top right up to the seam sounds like it would make them stronger.

I have a bunch of "orphan" blocks I inherited from my grandmother. I was thinking of making a sampler quilt from them, but some are such loud, unusual fabric, they just don't play well together!! So, finally I decided to find fabrics to go with each one and use the block as a center for a table runner, and use the other fabrics on the ends. Then I'm going to give one to each of my cousins so they will all have something from grandma!

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: I love that costum on your baby. I need one of them for my Pom. Tommye

my pom he weighs 7 pounds
    Name:  Attachment-33764.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  29.6 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast