Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
length of quilt frame >

length of quilt frame

length of quilt frame

Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 AM

I have a Bernina frame that is 12' long! It takes up the entire center of our F.R.O.G. I can do a king size quilt on it. I am thinking that it might be better smaller and if I want to make a bigger quilt I could do it in 2 parts and then stitch it together but I am clueless how to cut the pipes down without ruining the way they connect. I can remove one pipe and make it 6' but that is kind of too small.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

A 12 ft. frame would be divine if one had the room as you do (F.R.O.G = family room over garage)!
Mine is currently 8 ft. long. but I transport if for use at public functions and school demonstrations.

IF I want to quilt on it here at home, I move it outside into the shade and spend the hours there with a glass of tea, my threads, the birdsong, and the sounds of the farm. The cats come to check it out and lie at my feet. Mostly I use a hoop and sit in my favorite chair in front of the TV.

Jan in VA
Old 05-13-2013, 03:10 AM

thank you to everyone for sharing! for now, i have such a learning curve, i think the size will work for me. in my "next" house (ha!) i'd love to have a huge airy sunlight filled room just for quilting and weaving and such....
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM

I have a 10' and it fit in my son's room (he got married so it was empty). that worked great until our daughter moved home and into that room. We set the frame up in the living room (which I hated). One day hubby said that has to go so I rented a studio that I work out of. It's fun but I'm getting tired of paying rent. I could get a whole lot of quilts quilted by someone else so I'm thinking of selling the whole thing.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I used to have one with pipes there were, I believe, 96 inches. I nearly always make lap quilts, or wall hangings so it was an expense I should not have taken. I now have one of those snap together plastic ones, and it is great. Takes up a lot less room. The tough thing is that the cats think it is a hammock.