Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lesson learned >

Lesson learned

Lesson learned

Old 08-09-2013, 03:51 PM

It is beautiful and I hope the organizer of the charity fund raiser learned his/her lesson as well! Hope next time it goes better, but you know what, you got more experience, it is getting hung up and your name is better known in your area now.

I love the colors and the person who got it got a steal!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM

WOW....so beautiful!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 PM

Default Lesson Learned

Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
I have posted this picture before. I donated it to a Cancer benefit in our area. It was bought for $150.00. I had more money in the material and quilting than that.

The lady that ran the benefit could not believe someone who wanted it right away would only donate that amount. She told me to look at it that I did the right thing by making it and donating it and that is what is important.

The good thing from it is it is going to be hung in our local hospital Cancer Office. I hope people that come in will enjoy looking at it and give them some comfort.
Your quilt is fabulous, a genuine work of art. You are so gifted with talent! I think I would have a very difficult time giving something away (even for a charity) that I had worked so hard on. Just goes to show you have a generous heart. There is no way to justify the "petty" attitude of the person who bought the quilt. My sister made the comment once that we had better "lay up for yourself treasures in heaven, 'cause it's for sure we're not going to have them here" I think she was right!

God Bless you. Your quilt is wonderful and will no doubt provide inspiration for all those who see it. Thank God it is going to be displayed. It's truly an inspiration!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 08-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Reb

This happened to me as well. But I'm wondering if I was at fault. It was a silent auction. They asked for a reserve. I knew it was worth more but I said $50, thinking at least they will get something for the charity. It is a campership fund for children to attend Camp Pinnacle, named after my mother who worked there many years and handled the applications. It brought $100. At double the reserve I guess that I should be thankful. But I expected people to look at it, and the description, and say 'well that's worth at least one week of camp'. A friend told me once "you can't have expectations."
Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 AM

Very, very nice! Not only is it beautiful but it gives a message of care and hope to many people. Good for you and thank you!

Cherie
Old 08-10-2013, 06:22 AM

The quilt hanging at my cancer treatment center is nailed up. It makes me wince every time I go by it.

Your quilt is beautiful.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM

It is beautiful, you should be very proud.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 AM

My thoughts are with you as you go through this, as I went through the same thing several years ago. Luckily, after the ultrasound, they said they were fibrous cysts and now that they were "mapped", I wouldn't have to go through the same thing. Hopefully, you will get the same report.

With respect to your quilt, it is gorgeous and should have brought $$$$$ to the auction. The person who bought it should be ashamed of herself, as should the person who sold it, because they stole it from you, they cheated everyone else out of the chance to bid on it, and they cheated the organization out of the money it would have brought. Just remember that you donated it for a good cause and with a pure heart. And no matter who owns it now, it will always be your quilt.