Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lesson learned while FMQ >

Lesson learned while FMQ

Lesson learned while FMQ

Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Suz

Default Lesson learned while FMQ

While FMQng today for two hours or more, with the BSR attached, fluffing and stuffing along the way, the BSR foot fell off, the needdle hit and broke the needle and slightly damaged the top. I learned that from time-to-time, I must stop, check and see that the level locking the foot into place has not lifted. Don't know if the sandwich thickness caused it to lift or if I inadverently bumped it. Really don't kinow, but I learned my lesson.

Has this ever happened to you?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 PM

No offense, but I don't know what BSR stands for so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I will, however, share my fmq story with you to make you feel better: I fmq'd about 30 min after changing my bobbin before I realzed my tension was off and I had used about 1/2 of my thread and had to take out 1 whole side of my border. I always check the underside now before I really get going.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

I just have a darning foot I use for FMQ. One day I guess I didn't put it on tight enough, it came loose, needle broke and went flying. I sure was glad I wear glasses, a piece of needle flew up and hit my right lens. Now I tighten everything as tight as I can get it.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:13 PM

my BSR (Bernina stitch regulator) does come lose probably from vibration. I check my feet often just to be sure they are secure and tight.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 PM

I've never had my BSR foot fall off, but it's come loose.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:59 PM

I just finished quilting a top and shortly after I started, I stopped to change needles and when I touched the BSR, it fell off! I was so glad it didn't happen while I was actively quilting. I did have that happen once and had the same result...broken needle.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

Wow, thanks for the head up! I've never had it happen but I'll be sure to check periodically the next time I use my Bernina Stitch Regulator foot to FMQ. I am glad you didn't damage anything but your quilt. That's bad enough but a new BSR at $1000 is probably not in your budget this year?
Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by traumaRN View Post
No offense, but I don't know what BSR stands for so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I will, however, share my fmq story with you to make you feel better: I fmq'd about 30 min after changing my bobbin before I realzed my tension was off and I had used about 1/2 of my thread and had to take out 1 whole side of my border. I always check the underside now before I really get going.
Good idea and one I should follow. Usually forget and then I'm looking for that dreaded seam ripper. Some call it their friend, but I hate the thing and blame myself for my stupidity causing my need to use that darn thing!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Thanks so much for that information. I am doing FMQ with my BSR foot and I would be very unhappy if the foot fell off. From now on, I'll check that the foot is locked in place.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 PM

I hit my BSR with my acrylic top that I moved when getting into the bobbin area and I had to get a new one. The price was $150 and warrenty for two yrs. I think that is how is broke. I have a 440 OE Thanks for telling me about the foot getting loose, I will watch this. I noticed on other feet this has happened to me.