Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned LOL

Lessons Learned LOL

It is a very rainy day today, and really cold - the perfect weather for quilting!

I don't really have a lot of "matching" fabric left over so I went to Walmart and bought some really pretty greens / blues and 2 yards of white. My plan? Drunkard's path.

It's been fun LOL

I learned that when you trace over the circle with a quilting pen and then cut out the circle (leaving some around it to go on the interfacing) that when you iron the fabric to the interfacing the marking lines go away.

So after doing 36 circles and then ironing them I had to retrace all the circles and then cut them out.

NEXT TIME: I will iron the fabric right onto the interfacing and not have to worry about getting glue on my iron, and losing my lines!

The white fabric? Well, it's too thin ... (yes, I know, it's from walmart, I should know better!) So you can see the blues / greens fabric beneath the white fabric.

NEXT TIME: either buy good white cotton, or don't do white!

I'm not going to toss it, since it's pretty, and I will finish it, but I've learned some fun things doing this pattern!

Here's what I have so far (I count that as four blocks, and it will be 9 in total)

Name:  IMG_1497.JPG
Views: 1653
Size:  123.9 KB

Blog Entries
    It is still very pretty and I am happy you are going to finish it. Show us when you have it done.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

Power Poster
    Many whites are "see-through."

Love it! Once you've got your batting and backing in place, it will be fine! How are you liking those curved seams?

Very pretty! You won't see through the white with your batting behind it.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice. Put some white batting behind it and the white won't be so see-through.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

That is turning out so pretty. I love rainy and cold days too. Love to either bake or sew on days like that. Thanks for sharing.

Looks good, and as the others say, once there is a white backing behind, it will be less noticeably showing the colour through.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

It looks lovely. As for the whites being too sheer, that bothers me, too, and I find even most of the whites from the LQS are too sheer. Just yesterday I fused some very thin fusible interfacing to the back of my white fabric before I cut it, because I thought it was too sheer. That works well. You may want to try it next time.

Your quilt is very pretty! I learn something new on every project! I think that is where the intrigue of quilting comes !

Very pretty. I like your color choices.

Love your color choices as well.
    I, too have learned the hard way. I recently bought some LQS quality FQ's on EBay, so got them much cheaper. What a difference! I now hate my JoAnn's fabrics!! I finally understand why people prefer the better quality fabrics...So, now I shop for deals online. I still can't bring myself to pay the full price, I have a max I'm willing to spend and won't go over it. I also use sheets, both vintage (blends) and newer (100% cotton). They are usually very good quality as far as tightness of weave, thread count, etc and you can get yardage for very little $$. I am finishing a twin size all made from vintage sheets right now, will post pics when I get it finished and washed.

Blog Entries
    It's gonna be pretty Marion. I love the fabrics and ones the batting and backing are in place, it is going to shine.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

It's going to be lovely! If you think it's still too sheer with the batting, you could try adding a lightweight muslin behind it. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!
    Sue

Great colors! Just use white and bright batting, and plan your quilting along the shadow lines. The brighter white of the open seams will become a design element to the quilt.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    White will show - not much you can do about that.

Thanks all! It's not the white background that bugs me, it's the white over the coloured fabric ... you can't see the 1/4 circles LOL ... I don't think I'm going to finish it!!!! I'll probably give it away ...

SO .... if someone on here wants it, PM me your address, and I'll ship it to you ... I'm done with it! Working on a new one with darker colours, and no white!

Well it sure sounds like you're having fun, haha. Your quilt is turning out so pretty
    Lori

I don't think it matters where you buy white fabric. It all seems to "shadow" a little bit when you put any color under it. Even a thicker, more closely woven white will do it. I'm working with white and maroon -- school colors -- so I've given up worrying about it. The quilt is for a college-bound grandson. I doubt very much that he will even notice.
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

Blog Entries
    It's going to be beautiful. I was given white fabric in a quilt shop kit that was like burlap...not tightly woven and quite see-through. It would have been better had I purchased at WalMart! Your white will be okay as it gets finished. please share when you're finished.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

You succeeded though, it is looking great.

Sounds like something I would do! So glad we can laugh at ourselves and share with others! Can't wait to see your finished quilt. Very brave doing circles!!

We have all done something similar. When I was making my first GFG quilt I used the plastic template to cut out the hexis then drew the quarter inch line to sew along. Well, I thought I would use one of those "fancy" pens where the lines evaporate so they wouldn't show later. I drew lines on about 15 or so - decided to start putting them together and all my lines were gone! When I realized why all I could do was laugh at myself. After that I used a quilter's pencil.

I'm not keeping it ... if someone wants it, just PM me ... you can finish it off ... I have more squares to do it!

The circles were easy! I just cut them out and used fusible interfacing and ironed them on LOL ... sewing them afterwards will be a PITA ... but it was much easier than sewing all those arcs! I just finished a bali star wedding quilt and am quite done with arcs for a while!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast