Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality >

Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
I agree good fabric can be found at chain store right next to the not so good fabric.I have seen fabric by a brand name at Walmart for $6.00 a yd and have seen same fabric at a quilt shop for double the price-same exact fabric and same quality.
I bought a bolt of fabric from the wholesale warehouse for $1 a yard. That same fabric was on an internationally known website for $10.50 a yard. If Walmart had bought that same fabric for $1 a yard, it would have been offered for $4.50 a yard. They would be making a profit, and it would have been the exact same fabric. Walmart does buy fabric like that. It is quilt shop quality, only they don't expect to make the same profit and price accordingly.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for changing the tone of this type of topic...I for one have a moderate to large stash.......the fabric comes from a huge variety of sources....I am fine with that b/c I am pleased with my choices.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 AM

Thank you Holice. Yes, we can choose how we respond. And there are always options. another alternative to your "pink" problem is hand dyeing. Pick a printed fabric with white on white or pattern with white background and over-dye it. Use procion, not Rite? dye. Learning to hand dye fabric solved the problem of finding color gradations and it is lots of fun.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 AM
mim

There are quilt fabric "snobs" who only look at labels and quilters who are careful and choose what will be suitable.

Years ago I used to tell my students, look at the museum quilts made by women in covered wagons and trying to set up homes in sod houses. They used what came to hand. We love what they did.

Learning about fabrics is the best way -- and just look at all the different grades of thread we now have. I went to a lecture on thread and was amazed. Think how many times a bit of thread goes thru the eye of your sewing machine needle a litttle at a time. No wonder that some threads shed and fray more than others.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:25 AM

All I can add is if you don't like it then don't buy it. I don't care where you shop there always something you will like or not like. I see some fabrics at the discount stores I like and I always see something I don't like the the LQS. You know these merchandisers cannot please everyone but they sure want to because they want you to spend you money with them. Give them a break. This is not know as the age of disposables for nothing.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:52 AM

Holice, I am so happy to read your words. They are not so much about buying fabric but ATTITUDE about life in general. As much as I try to be positive it isn't always easy but it's always good to be reminded. Thanks for your words.

Pat
Old 12-10-2011, 03:57 PM

I enjoyed the views listed above all very true
Old 12-10-2011, 04:01 PM

very well said *holice*.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for this thread and your observations, Holice.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 PM

Back in the 60's when I was learning to sew my own clothing, my mother taught me to evaluate fabric by putting my hand beneath just one layer and holding it up to the light. If I saw a lot of my hand, it was a poor quality (her term, usually applies to loosely woven fabric). Then, take a small corner and crumple it in your hand. If it wrinkles a lot, it will wrinkle when worn. I don't make my own clothing any more, but I still put quilting fabric over my hand and check to see how much of my hand I see.