Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality >

Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Let Us Teach About Fabric Quality

Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 PM

Some can't afford to pay top dollar either.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 PM

I noticed how people can't sell fabrics without a maker printed on they selvage. Can't people sell them and it's up to each individual if the want to purchase it. Just wondering why this is an issue. I'm assuming because it's not a high end fabric, but some may not mind.
Just my thoughts.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 PM

Fabric quality varies in every store. However, I have found the fabric quality in two quilt shops I visit to be really wonderful and not sparyed to death with whatever chemicals, not stiff and cotton weight that is so soft and bright in color. I think when you sew if you are putting time in than buy the best you can afford. I would rather make something beautiful with good quality fabric than have a big stash. I tend to use what I buy and have only a small stash that I am building for a quilt for my bed. I notice whenever I buy kits the fabric is not as good as when I select it myself...that is unless I am buying from one quilt shop nearby that makes her own kits. Joann's is ok....if you hunt and know fabric you can find fabric but I do not see much that I prefer there. I hope that other quilters will not get offended by my stash preference...that is just me....and my budget.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 AM

I don't really understand the point of this thread but since I value my time I don't like to waste it using bad materials, and there is no point denying it. I prefer to use old sheets than some of the plasticky low thread count FQs I have seen on sale.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:10 AM

Yes your quilts are "Show Quality"- You have shown how much Love goes in by the colors, patterns and stitching you have chosen to use.... Never down grade anything you make... like another Thread mentioned "seen same quilt in Walmart, well if you look at the label its been made in China and sewn with cheap plastic thread that most likely will start to come unsewn after the first washing... So be Happy with all the Love you are sewing..
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 AM

In looking for a particular color for a baby quilt I saw a piece of fabric at WalMart and the same at a LQS (same selvage info) with a $4.00 a yard difference. We are so limited as to choices for fabric where I live, but that certainly soured me about going there for my fabric. I will drive the extra 50 miles, even with the price of gas.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 AM

There is a "controversy" over fabric??? Everyone is buying their own, what they can afford and what they like.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by earlori7 View Post
In looking for a particular color for a baby quilt I saw a piece of fabric at WalMart and the same at a LQS (same selvage info) with a $4.00 a yard difference. We are so limited as to choices for fabric where I live, but that certainly soured me about going there for my fabric. I will drive the extra 50 miles, even with the price of gas.
There is usually a reason for that much difference in price. Although the print may be the same, they can be printed on lower quality greige goods. They may be strike-offs (the first run of the fabric to check the colors, print registration, etc.) - these often do not get the final treatments that help prevent fading, shrinkage, etc. So although the fabrics may look the same, there often is a difference. And what about customer service? Will the chain store employees teach you how to finish your binding, re-work a pattern that you're in love with that only comes in lap size when you need a king, spend an hour with you picking out just the right 20 colors for a bargello quilt? That needs to be figured into the price difference as well.

As a shop owner myself, I try to keep my prices as low as I can but still be able to pay the bills. Contrary to what many people seem to think, most quilt shops are not rolling in dough. (I have yet to take a regular salary after 3 years of doing this.) I have no control over the price the fabric companies are selling the fabric to me, and of course the big box/chain stores can buy at lower prices than the LQS since they are buying in much greater quantity. I often price my fabric lower than what is considered 'good business' just to stay competitive (which is maybe why I don't get to take a salary )

That doesn't mean you can't find good fabric at the chain stores, or poor fabric at the LQS. As many have said, look at it, feel it, and make up your own mind - don't let the location or the price tag make a decision for you.

Andi
Old 12-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Quality of fabric,etc.

I came across a lady that did a great amount of quilting. She was under the impression that the only real quilt was 100% cotton and hand stitched. When I started quilting I made 7 flannel quilts for my kids for Christmas because I thought they were cuddly. What did I know about cotton or quality. Now I make quilts out of donated fabric and you can imagine the quality and type of material I get. After looking through the first batch of donated material I was really upset. That is until I thought of our forefathers and the type of quilts and fabrics used. I now make what I call "Textured Quilts" for children and seniors homes. Children, Seniors with Dementia and other like problems like to feel the different materials. Oh yes, I like cotton and make quilts out of 100% cotton, but, I no longer turn up my nose at other materials.

Donah
Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

many of my quilts include (to some extent-alot or a little) used fabrics from thrift store clothes- fabrics from yard sales- fabrics from what ever store---i have never in 35 years had a quilt fall apart due to the fabric- i've had problems with poor thread (not a poor quality thread- it was just old & not stored well)
i have a (rule) about purchases----i am very TOUCHY-FEELY when shopping for fabrics---i touch everthing...i unroll some of the bolt and look at it-and am constantly touching, petting, caressing it--if i like the way it feels- as much as what it looks like determines on whether or not i purchase it- the price truely is a secondary factor===i do refuse to pay certain (what i consider ridiculous) prices- but if it's inexpensive---it just depends on what it feels like- and looks like-
i have bought many clothing items at thrift stores specifically for quilting because it is a fabulous print or color- i can not find in any store...again- i feel it- caress it---if i like it i buy it---and i use it all-
i am always telling (new quilters and old quilters) no one is going to know if the fabrics you used came from an lqs, wally world, the goodwill or an on line shop---unless you tell them!
if someone says---oh i love that fabric---where did you get it? and it's (someone i don't want to really tell) i just say--oh i had it in my stash- hard telling now where it came from
the source-and the price is not important (as long as you are not breaking your bank shopping) the look and feel of the fabric is what matters ...don't sweat the small stuff you do not have to admit to anyone if you found it in an old jumper at the salvation army for 50 cents---and got a whole yard out of it!