Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's encourage each other! >

Let's encourage each other!

Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM

My mom never used a sewing machine, didn't have expensive scissors, no rulers, and made her templates out of cardboard. Everything was sewn together by hand and she made some beautiful quilts. Quilting now seems to be a contest. As a friend of mine said at a quilt guild meeting, I thought we would just get together and sew and have some nice conversation.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM

If I had to quilt with a bunch of quilt snobs, then I wouldn't be there long !!! Life is too short to fret over what "things" we have or don't have. Don't get me wrong, I do have a Bernina but I rarely mention it & I did not start with one. I had a white machine which cost less than $100.00 & at the time I was thrilled to have it. One's creations are sometimes made on the very lowest end machines & the results are spectacular. Money cannot make up for the love put into our creations. I agree with mltquilt, my Kia gets me to the same places as someone else's cadillac !!! Whatever machine you have, enjoy the ride.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
It's awful that I have to be afraid to say what kind of machine I own because of the flack I receive for owning it. People brag about owning a $99 Brother and everyone pats them on the back, but if you scrimp and save for a good machine, people don't like you very much. What's wrong with this picture? Why can't they be happy for you?
My sis had something similar happen to her. when first out of college, she was a teacher making a pittance (a Christian school which paid very little) but she SPENT even less. So, she was able to take the summer off and not work because her needs were few and she was very, very careful. People called her a "lady of leisure". She felt really frustrated because she wasn't a lady of leisure--just very, very frugal. She had two roommates who weren't so frugal and thus needed to work (also teachers) and somehow she was belittled because of her commitment to save so she could take time off.

I am happy for you--no matter what your machine is. I think sometimes people are jealous and thus don't want to hear about your (or anyone's) good fortune, but I understand totally about saving and then not having people rejoice with them.

One other time my sister was listening to someone bemoan that she couldn't afford such a nice vacation as my sister had (she had gone to Egypt) and my sis replied, "Well, you are driving your vacation" (brand new truck)...my sis drove used cars that were considerably less expensive than what the complainer was driving.

So, here's to frugality which enables us to be able to achieve our goals, whether it is buying that fabric we want, a new machine or a quilter's cruise (I would love that!) Do you know of any starting in Europe? ???
Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM

Teresa, as a 38-year teacher in all grades of school and college, I used to tell my student that there is no such thing as a "stupid question". I treated all questions with the same equality unless I had just answered that question and someone else immediately asked the same question. If someone on this board hammered you, just let it roll off your back. It is not worth leaving such a valuable source of information because some was not nice. Most folks here are so very understanding and helpful. Don't leave us--just move on. Also, develop a friendship with some of us and pm us if you are reluctant to ask the question to the board at large. Patrice, for example, has been most helpful with my tech questions.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM

I totally agree, better does not always make it best. It is the one handling the machine, tools, notions, etc. that is the actual artist.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Wow. This has been interesting to read. The stories are just amazing.

I have told people that just because my sewing machine can sing and dance doesn't mean I can. When you quilt, you only need a straight stitch. Lately I have fallen in love with Vintage machines and own a few now. I recently bought a 1903 Treadle. I get such a kick out of sewing on something older than I am (this is getting hard to find every year).

There is always something new to learn, a technique to improve on, never stop learning. One stitch at a time. Keep reading, researching, trying and learning. Hugs to all.

Gail
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM

Good for you. Enjoy quilting and work at your own pace and the level you are comfortable with. I have been intimidated by experienced quilters, so now, unless they are willing to share their knowledge, I have learned to ignore them. It took awhile, but has helped. Happy quilting.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:32 PM

I don't feel that you will have that problem on here. Everyone is very helpful and encouraging. Some use vintage singers and others have the latest and greatest. It doesn't seem to matter, everyone is so helpful. I use a cheap Janome.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I thoroughly agree with your comments. What matters is not the cost of the machine or your tools, but the joy in the process and the joy you give to others when you give them quilts made especially just for them. I was told that you should buy the best that you can afford, whether it be a sewing machine, material, or whatever. I think that the joy I see in the faces of the people I make quilts for is priceless and cannot be bought for any price.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM

I have sewn since I was a child. I was so proud of the Kenmore sewing machine we bought after I married some 35 years ago. And it still works. My mom had a Kenmore too. We also purchased a Kenmore for our daughter.
Just recently I upgraded to a husquvana. I never look down on anyone or pay much attention to those who do.
They all sew and produce beautiful works of art..