Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired >

Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired

Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired

Old 07-29-2013, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
There are so many things I cannot do at all, but I still love admiring what others do. Things like ballet and Olympic sports, and piano playing, dressage, violin music, flying an airplane or perfect machine quilting. So I just muddle along with what I can accomplish, sing in the church choir, quilt the best I can, take a lovely walk with a friend. There are lots of excuses for being depressed at what you can't do, just enjoy every little thing you can do!
I have bookmarked this thread. It so speaks to the way I feel. I'm forever lamenting over my imperfect quilts. I know I've come a long way but have such a long way to go and a short time to get there! I'll be 70 in January.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 AM

We are our strictest critic. When I go to "professional" quilt shows, I am in awe of being in the same room with such fantastic quilters. But I also know there may be something that I do that they may not do as well as I do. As long as we work at our passion with the idea that we can always do better, but not to stress if it is not on the project we are currently working on. I have learned so much from everyone here. Sometimes I may not execute it correctly, but I try. I do not believe in "heirloom" quilts. If a quilt is in a closet, who knows about it. My quilts are used, have memories, and are enjoyed. That, to me, makes it an heirloom. We have so much to learn, and to share.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
Yesterday, a bus load of quilters from Long Island went to the Hershey quilt show. Great show, even better quilts. There was something for everyone, from art quilts, modern quilts, traditional, vintage, paper pieced and everything between. I was blown away by talent and creativity. And then, as a sweet cherry on top there was Sharon Schamber quilt exhibit - amazing, inspiring and depressing at the same time. She is an absolute master of the art and craft of quilting with an unbelievable eye for detail. Her quilts always inspire me to break the mold and try to be better than I am. Depressed, well I exaggerated that part a bit, I did not get depressed simply aware that it will be decades, and may be even never, until I can look at one of my quilts with the same awe as I look at hers. Great show!
No one EVER looks at their own quilts with awe.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Sounds wonderful!!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
There are so many things I cannot do at all, but I still love admiring what others do. Things like ballet and Olympic sports, and piano playing, dressage, violin music, flying an airplane or perfect machine quilting. So I just muddle along with what I can accomplish, sing in the church choir, quilt the best I can, take a lovely walk with a friend. There are lots of excuses for being depressed at what you can't do, just enjoy every little thing you can do!
Amen! And to be honest - I don't know if I really want to put that much effort and stress into 1 quilt, what would take me years to accomplish, I could enjoy so much more.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I don't go to quilt shows. I guess I may be jealous of the quilts.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Attending quilt shows has always been an inspiration to me to see how other quilters express themselves with art quilts, traditional quilts with a twist, unusual subjects, etc. I always come away with great ideas, plus a few yards and fat quarters of fabrics.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM

I ended up going by myself, as Michele ( a friend of Dotty's) was supposed to go with me, and had to cancel at the last minute do to a problem her mom was having in Buffalo. I went to a bunch of fabric stores, and antique malls in Adamsville on Sat. I started back on Sun, and stopped at Cabela.. I don't have any friends that quilt, or might be interested in checking all the stuff out. I have been to the Lancaster show 1 1/2 years ago with someone from the board, so I knew what I wanted to go back to.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 PM

One of the ladies in our area had a showing of her quilts here. She is so talented and has such incredible applique skills. The thing that impressed me the most was she showed her first quilt along with her later masterpieces. It gave me great hope that with practice I maybe could maybe one day be that good. I can see that I have grown in my skill level since I first started quilting and know that I will continue to improve.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM

The quilts and other things I make will probably never be as good as the ones I see here but my family loves the things I make for them. They have more confidence in my abilities than I do and that's really all that matters to me. My kids and grandiose think I can make anything they think up and my hubby is proud of everything I make. So I am blessed.