Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's made ourselves a promise

I always plan to start early but it never happens that way as life seems to get in the way. I guess I kinda like pressure because I am still trying to get the last 2 quilts done before dinner tomorrow as that is when we will be opening the family gifts. I may be up all night but they will be under the tree when they get here.

Blog Entries
    I sure hope to have a better handle on all the holiday projects next year. This year my sewing room had become a storage room and catchall for the whole family. A few months ago my husband and kids help me clean out the extra stuff so I could actually sew. Now it is the storage room for Christmas gifts-LOL! Oh well, we'll start 2011 with the best of intentions and see how it goes! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

I think I have everyone beat. I started quilts for my 5 grandchildren 4 years ago. I started early in the year and planned to have them done by Christmas--every year. Meanwhile the girls were done last year, but I wanted to give them all at the same time. The boys outgrew their's a couple of years ago, so I had to start over with 2 new patterns. I finished them 2-3 weeks ago. Does that count towards getting them done in plenty of time? lol
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by merridancer
    Hah, Hah, Hah.

I need to start on January 1.
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    that we'll start next year's Christmas gifts in July. No stress for next year.
    My daughter and I love to do Christmas crafts. We make things for some family members. Sometimes it's not something big, but a little something. Then we like to make stuff for ourselves ;)

We decided this past week that we're gonna set aside a week in July and have "Christmas in July" We're going to get started on some crafts we didn't have time for this year :( I'm also going to use it as a time to make a decision as to what I'm going to make and give to my siblings, DH's siblings and the married nephews.

Not only will it give me a headstart but I'm hoping to be able to financially spread it all out :lol:

I don't know about everyone else but July to November goes really FAST for me and I do not like to be pressured in December. I like to enjoy the season - decorating the tree, baking, enjoying the lights and area things to do, etc....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Okay, I'm anal. I did start all my Christmas gifts in July and had them done by the end of October. Please don't throw things at me LOL!! I don't understand why people are still working on gifts today--Christmas is always December 25--every year--why stress? I really think some people love to "complain" oh I have to finish "x" amount by tomorrow. No you wouldn't if you'd have started earlier. Please don't get mad at me!! Like I said, I'm really anal and have to have things done in plenty of time. I'm also really slow quilting so it takes me longer than a day.
    Peace & joy everyone!!
    Ditto, I start the day after Christmas I plan out what I want to make. With list in hand I start working on my list. I want to enjoy Christmas, not stress out. I put up my Christmas tree in first couple weeks on Nov. That way if it takes me a couple weeks to finish who cares. This year a friend give me a great gift. I am going to make it and give it out to my friends. It was so simple but useful. And too Cute !!!

Jan, you make me laugh. How true what you say.
    Are all folks in medical field somewhat anal? Guess I will be in good company when I graduate. Tee hee.
    Merry Christmas!

I think I'm starting right after Christmas for the nest year. I'm in the mood to sew(right after this cold goes away)and think I just might get started right away. That way there is plenty of time. My 14 yr old has already requested a quilt with minkee on the back. So my list starts already!!!

Ok, I am in, only I am getting a head start in January! I already bought Christmas material to make aprons for next year! Table runners too! I got a list of items to make thru out the entire year and stash it away! Sure sounds good and I am making an honest effort, or that is the plan anyway! We celebrated earlier today with some of the family, I sure enjoyed the pleasure of giving gifts I made. They loved them! Somehow it seems so much more personal and loving!

Blog Entries
    I could do a better job of not needing to make a lst min grocery run :-) Happens every time, but this yr was my gift to me.No sewing of gifts in Dec.Cards were done Thanksgiving wk & next yr, will trim that list even more.Another big time saver is making cookie dough & freezing in rolls. Just slice & bake as needed.Holidays can be such a stressful time....if we let it. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Okay, I'm anal. I did start all my Christmas gifts in July and had them done by the end of October. Please don't throw things at me LOL!! I don't understand why people are still working on gifts today--Christmas is always December 25--every year--why stress? I really think some people love to "complain" oh I have to finish "x" amount by tomorrow. No you wouldn't if you'd have started earlier. Please don't get mad at me!! Like I said, I'm really anal and have to have things done in plenty of time. I'm also really slow quilting so it takes me longer than a day.
    Peace & joy everyone!!

I am starting next years Christmas presents as soon as I can get to the store after this Christmas, hoping for a sale.

Blog Entries
    First, I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome and now I know I do fit in, cuz I'm still working on a couple of things and those things that I made early--well, I got so excited, I just gave them away hot off the ironing board. Hope to do a little better next year too, but if not, I seem to be in fine company.

we swap Christmas ornaments between my brothers and sisters. i was making folded star ornaments. Had 6 ready to pin. Notice the word- had. The sisters and my Dad and I go for breakfast. Talk turns to my quilting. And the "fight" started. I have 2, I have none, she has 2 but won't give me one. I've been making table runners for shower prizes for 3 weddings we've had in the past year. Odds are pretty good that they all should have won one by now. No- 2 don't have any.

So, they don't know it but I am making them table runners for Christmas. 8 in 2 weeks. I have 1 I am working on right now and 2 to go. Next year- they will get those folded star ornaments.

duplicate, oops

Blog Entries
    LOL....they love your handmade gifts.Makes you feel all warm & fuzzy :D

Blog Entries
    I have things I wanted to make this year but knew they were too labor intensive for the time I had, so I am going to start on them in the next couple weeks. I owe my DDIL two Christmases worth of gifts, because my machine broke mid-project last year and I never got back to that one. Then this year with the dog thing I just couldn't spend the time I needed in the basement on it. So that one gets done next week. My problem is that I have lofty ideas and then time runs out.

Our LQS is holding a "New Year Resolution Challenge." Bring in your list of UFOs and 'intended' projects and they will list you on a chart. Every time you finish one, bring it in or send a picture and they will check it off your list. When you have completed 5, you get 10% off a purchase, complete 10 and receive 15% off and so on. At the end of the year a gift card will be given to the one finishes the most on her list. Now there's some incentive!

I think January 1st. Is a very good Idea get them done and rest for the holidays.

Blog Entries
    I think I need to start in January! I ended up having foot surgery on both feet this year which meant I couldn't use the sewing machine for a total of 4 months......so now I'm really behind LOL

Merry Christmas Everyone!

LOL, I will TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you finish early, Do you think of more things to do?

In my 51 years I have done that just once. I was done shopping and gifts were all wrapped by the first week of October. The down side to this is that I kept seeing stuff in the stores that my daughters would like and buying it! I was way organized that year, but spent more than you could believe! My kids were extremely happy on Christmas morning : ) If you have the willpower to STOP shopping (I don't), it's a wonderful way to go :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    that we'll start next year's Christmas gifts in July. No stress for next year.
    Will you remind us please??!! :)

January 1 is best for me if I want to get it done on time.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I'm with you on that one - I need to start the day after Christmas!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast