Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's Talk -- Metallic Fabrics >

Let's Talk -- Metallic Fabrics

Let's Talk -- Metallic Fabrics

Old 09-13-2019, 12:06 PM

Default Let's Talk -- Metallic Fabrics

Do you like them? Use them? Refuse to use them?

I'm largely a fan myself, although a heavy metallic can be sort of sticky in hot humid weather. As I've been organizing my fabrics this past year I've been pulling out the metallics from their color groups and putting them together in their own collection and I'd like to do a couple different tops with different techniques and styles in the next year. Have a couple ideas in mind and one that I'm actually going to start, scrappy with black. Black always works so well as a neutral but I'm having a harder time with it and my vision issues. Going to have to make sure to have grey and not black thread as one example.

One of the ladies in my small group mostly makes preemie quilts and their group doesn't allow metallics so she is trying to clear them out of her stash entirely. I get to be the recipient of them.

I've had other friends through the years who didn't like them for various reasons. One of the reasons mentioned is they worry about how well it will stick to the fabric over time which doesn't seem to be much of an issue in the ones I've used, the fabric is holding up as well as any other.

Final thought -- is glitter/sparkles a metallic or something different? With the first project the goal is to use up some squares I was gifted first and cut fabric second and I'm not so concerned with theme but I'm not sure I'm liking the glittery fabric next to the florals outlined in gold for example. I'm thinking it is going to be an "everyone in the pool!" and everything will be just fine in the end.

One of the tops I'm planning will only be using metallic embellished Asian style fabrics and I'll be much narrower in my fabric selection in that case. It's funny how it is easier for me to develop 37 rules for my fabric selection than trying to be more general!
Old 09-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Not really a fan. I think they are beautiful, but I guess I there not really "me". Plus while I do have a few in my stash, they are really random colors and not sure how I would incorporate them. I have (2) pieces that I might use for the back of something small like a runner or a wall hanging.

I do think the metallic + Asian patterns seem like a perfect marriage, so I would use them in this application.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:35 PM

I love metallics, and also have a large selection of them with an Asian flair. I love just about anything from Chong-A Hwang
Old 09-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

Nice score for you.

Nice score for you to "inherit" the metallics from your friend!

I love metallics ... though I have noticed a big difference from one to the other.

Some seem to disappear somewhat with hot washing/drying.
Whereas some seem well "stuck", and are just as good after the fact.
I haven't had any problems with the "sticking" issues you mentioned.
At least I find out early on if there is a problem, as I am a pre-washer. Then make my decision.

TBH I haven't figured out how to tell the difference ... of the good and not-so-desirable ones.
Anyone know how to tell?
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2019, 05:55 PM

I love the look of them, but as yet have not bought or used metallics. Glitter, no thank you!
Old 09-13-2019, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

Some of the glitter fabrics are scratchy - and they "shed" for a long time.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:28 PM

Glitter--absolutely not, the highlighting and outlining metallics--love them and the life they add to an item, especially holiday projects. IMHO, they add an elegance and richness. Glitter is only glued on while the gold etching is printed like all the other colors in the fabric, and should last just as long.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I have gravitated to Asian prints for years and a lot of them have metallic. I like the little touches of metallic in the Asians as well as some Christmas prints but I do not like them when they are over printed on to batiks. The few of those I have I ordered on line and didn't realize it was metallic or got them in a FQ pack and usually end up using them wrong side up. I also like some of the fairy frost lines which isn't really metallic but have some sort of shimmery ink in the dyes. I have noticed that some metallics have worn off, especially if used in binding or near the edge of the quilt that gets a lot of handling. For the most part it isn't really noticeable and I don't mind because the overall look of the fabric remains unchanged.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:48 AM

I have always loved metallic fabrics. I do not consider glittered fabrics metallic. IMHO they are a totally different animal. I have them separated in my stash so I can find them with ease. When I do use them in a quilt they are for adults and not for children's use. I have a number that are holiday prints and I use them to make gift bags. The bag itself is part of the gift. I have one person in my life that would love to just get the bags and nothing else. I also find I use them in wall hanging more than other quilts. I don't see as many anymore that that fall into my preferences so I haven't bought any in a couple years. I have enough to keep me going for a very long time. At one time I found myself buying nothing else. (now on moratorium not buying if I can help it.).
Old 09-14-2019, 08:18 AM

Don't really care for metallic fabrics so there is none in my stash. Glad someone enjoys them tho'