Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Light Box Suggestions??

This thread shows a picture of how I improvised one using a clear tote.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...2-t145622.html

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I lay a piece of glass across some piled books, stick one of those round tap-it lights under it and trace away. About $3 cost.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    they can be bought at Keepsake Quilting for $10.00
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I bought a "Joe Boxer" light box at K-Mart years ago for $10.00 and was quite happy with it. Recently, I have been using my lucite extension table to my sewing machine with battery operated "press" lights underneath. It's easier and faster - no plugging in. I think the extension table surface is smoother and bigger than a light box.
    Fabrics are like chocolate, I can never get enough!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have a light box I inherited from my sister. No name. Had to cost about $25. She bought it from teacher's supply store.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    You all are so thrifty/handy/imaginative!

Don't forget if you have a table with leaves you can pull it open and lay the glass or plexi- or stormy over the gap and put a table lamp on the floor beneath.

Hey! I bet an old glass refrigerator shelf would work! Mine are smooth on top, ridged underneath.
    I do the same thing with the dining room table for tracing applique designs....works great! Years ago I found a homemade light box at a garage sale for only $3.00. Perfect for small projects..

If you have a glass shower door, that can be used like a window any time of the night.

Use a dome light and a sheet of plexiglas over your top loading washer. or under a glass baking dish for small things, lots of free options out there!

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    I made a really simple one. I went to the big hardware store and bought a sheet of frosted plexiglass, and a string of LED Christmas lights. Then I bough a cheap wooden frame ( find the thickest one you can), rest the plexiglass on top and put the lights underneath.
    That is really smart and can be taken apart and put away when not in use!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain View Post
    I quite often just tape to my sliding glass door.
    I do something similar - tape to my large living room window. I place it at arm level that way my back does not hurt after a while of tracing. Problem - does not work well at night time! LOL Also it's great for big projects since it's a large window and even though I broke the applique down to small shapes (I made an applique of a Welsh Dragon) you still need the larger image intact.

I got my mom one at Hobby Lobby and she uses it to trace her embroidery all the time, it was well worth it. If you don't want to make one Hobby Lobby and Joann's have them and you can use a coupon which does make it affordable. If that isn't an option - Christmas is just around the corner, put one on your list! Or maybe Santa is handy and can make one

I found the Crayola light box at a garage sale for 2.00...lucky me...but before that I was using an old refridgerator veggie bin with the glass top, I put a stick up light (battery) It worked find for several years...was a bit bulky to store though.

I have had one for years. I don't use it much but when I do, it's just what I need for the job. They have a new LED model out now,and if I needed another one, I'd get that. It's not too expensive and is another good tool to have. I'm sure lots of people will tell you to use a piece of plexiglass over an open dining table etc. etc. etc. But, like any other good tool that's specific to one purpose, it's nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by sassey View Post
    I put a light underneath my glass table top and beem it upwards, works great for me
    I put a plexi (sp?) glass (about 30" square) with a spot light under it. I use two tables (sewing tables from Joann's) and move them apart about 2' and put the plexi glass on that. There is nothing to "make", just two things to put together.
    Last edited by Sierra; 10-26-2012 at 06:38 AM.

I too started out by using my glass top coffee table. Great as a light box but hard on the back.
    I bought a LightTracer2 light box. I got the larger one 12"x18". Have been very happy with it.

I bought mine at micheals using my 40% off coupon.I do a lot of hand embroidery and appliqué. It works great. Plus when I'm done with it I just put it back in the box. Fits neatly on the shelf.

I kept the top of my old coffee table. When I need it, I drag it out and invert 4 flower pots for legs. I use a bit of the sticky stuff used to put posters on walls to keep the legs steady and put a light under it. I love the large size and when I don't need it, I drop it against the wall behind my cutting table. Works great and didn't cost anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    My eyes are growing old (!!) so I'm thinking about getting a light box to mark fabrics and for embroidery design placements. I think it would help me a lot...and save me time, too!

If you have one, will you let me know where you bought it? I'm not very handy in making one so don't want to go that route. And I have no SO to make one for me!!
    You can buy a small sheet of plexiglass cut to size and one of the undercabinet fluorescent lights or one of the small touch closet lights. Put the light in the bottom of a drawer and put the plexiglass on top. You have whatever size lightbox you want, depending on the drawer size. In a pinch, you can get one of the touch closet lights, put it in your sewing machine drawer, and use one of your larger rulers (I have a 15" square) for the surface. Using your ruler also gives you a way of measuring the placement of whatever you're copying.

I have done the taped to a window, the Crayola box, battery operated light under tote box, also picked up a overhead projector like they use to use in school for a few bucks at a thrift store but my fav for smaller things. I have pic and drawings on my laptop that folds out flat and I place a clear clipboard over the top of the screen and trace. It protects the screen and also the chipboard helps me hold paper in place
    54489-296-692B1FB355C11B3B0DD23F421F4500E4

I use my window! just tape pattern and fabric to the glass, the sunlight creates the perfect "light box" effect. Only problem is this doesn't work very well on cloudy days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    My eyes are growing old (!!) so I'm thinking about getting a light box to mark fabrics and for embroidery design placements. I think it would help me a lot...and save me time, too!

If you have one, will you let me know where you bought it? I'm not very handy in making one so don't want to go that route. And I have no SO to make one for me!!

I have one that I purchased from Nancy's Notions. There were two sizes when I purchased mine, and I purchased the larger size. I love mine. I have used it for many things.
    What I have used it most for is my US Quilt. I marked all of the blocks front and back on my Us state and stars quilt, haven't finished the quilt, but did get the blocks all marked. Both sides quite intricate- because the front had state moto, entrance date, name, flower, and bird, plus the outline of the state and the star for the location of the capital. Each block on the back came from the 50 Fab. Stars book. I outlined with permanent marker everything on each block front and back, and am using crayola crayons to color each block. Very time consuming, but I just put each block on the box, turn the light on and get busy.

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    This thread shows a picture of how I improvised one using a clear tote.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...2-t145622.html
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. (Dr. Seuss)

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Quote Originally Posted by SewSassy View Post
    I took an old 1/2 storm window, placed it on 4 cans and put a light under it.....works wonderful
    good idea here
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

My hubby took an old scanner and replace the light, put a gridded surface (graft paper) under the glass to cut the glare and help me center my motifs. Great way to 'upcycle' Love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. (Dr. Seuss)

Quote Originally Posted by sassey View Post
    I put a light underneath my glass table top and beem it upwards, works great for me
    That's what I do too! Works like a dream!!!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast