Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Light Box Suggestions??

Depends on how large and how much you want to spend. I saw them on line from $38.50 to $129.
    Google Light Tracer, they come in several sizes and the most reasonable pricing.
    LED's are a little more expensive.
    Diana in TX

Blog Entries
    Great ideas.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Did something similar to tesspug - although never thought of christmas lights. I use a simple bulb in a socket that we had in the garage. I don't think this is rocket science. Plexiglass at Lowe's or Home Depot is easy, and then some 2 by 4 scraps to support it. Thing is, this is easier to store than a big light box. Do love the Christmas light idea.

Blog Entries
    Great ideas catmcclure!

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    My eyes are growing old (!!) so I'm thinking about getting a light box to mark fabrics and for embroidery design placements. I think it would help me a lot...and save me time, too!

If you have one, will you let me know where you bought it? I'm not very handy in making one so don't want to go that route. And I have no SO to make one for me!!
    I just checked Walmart on line and they have the same light box for $31 plus 97 cents shipping to your local Walmart store. I would double check the size but I think it is the same one as advertised at Sam's club (which we don't have in our area) Good luck! Love my light box!
    quilting with my dogs

I use an acrylic box picture frame (ref to attached link) and a light from my Christmas village. The set-up is: (1) start with a cookie sheet with a towel UNDER it (protects table from bulb heat); (2) single light from village lays on cookie sheet; and (3) with picture frame set over it.

acrylic frame:
    http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...lic-box-frames

light:
    available separately in some Christmas displays (check Joann's)

I don't know if it's just my area, but I've been seeing LOTS of working light tables at thrift stores!! I have a glass-top art desk with a lamp underneath that I usually use, but I found a really nice 12x18 light box for $3 at a thrift store outlet and couldn't pass it up. Usually I see them priced around $10-15, depending on the size.

Blog Entries
    I have an end table with a clear glass center,it is deep enough that I put a small lamp under it and this makes a perfect light box. I use it to trace patterns for my applique etc.
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

I made my own: used a piece of clear plastic . Placed it on top of my dining room table, and opened it up .....put a light under the table....and voila!! Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
    I hear what you are saying about not wanting to make one....but will throw this out just in case you
    change your mind when you see the prices. You can use a simple plastic tote (clear better than frosted) and a
    simple 12-18" corded flourscent 'undercounter corded light. Lights available at walmart in the lightbulb department. for between $10 and $20....plastic tote for $5 to $10 pending size.....
    Otherwise lightboxes available at Joanns for between $100-$200....I would assume Hobby Lobby and Michaels would also have them.
    Silly Me At 1st I couldn't get My mind around THIS Idea! Of Useing a 'Tote' All I could See in my Head was a Black shopping Bag! LOL Its just That I still need My [ ]> "Cup-of-Joe"
    Now I've Got IT! Great Idea!! The Hard Plastic! TOTES Dummy ME!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Nanamoms, I am of no help. When I told my husband I needed a light box when I was into Caligraphy, he asked what I was thinking so I explained it to him. Within a couple of days, I had a great light box. I now use it for my quilting. I am very lucky beause my dh is very creative and I haven't found any thing that he can't make. Good luck in finding a good box.

Blog Entries
    i have two big one that i brought on line at amazon and ebay they where on sale at time ,and i have two small ones that i brought at a craft store joana,s or micheal,s for $9.00 each the small ones, but shop online and see if any comes up with a good sale price
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I don't know if it's just my area, but I've been seeing LOTS of working light tables at thrift stores!! I have a glass-top art desk with a lamp underneath that I usually use, but I found a really nice 12x18 light box for $3 at a thrift store outlet and couldn't pass it up. Usually I see them priced around $10-15, depending on the size.

An aha moment. I have a old, old sewing table with a set of 3 drawer on each side of the table. There is glass on top of the two top drawers. I could put a batter operated light in the drawer and use the glass table top. The table/desk was my Grandma Chula's sewing table. Thank you Sewnoma for sparking my thinking!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I use a "trouble" light from the garage with a clamp or hanger on it and hang or clamp to a rung of my drying rack. With a piece of plexiglass on top I can set it up easily and quickly and it has a nice large surface.
    Debbie
    Machine It

You might want to call around to hospitals and clinics and see if they have a view box for x-rays that they want to get rid of. Most medical sites are going to digital x-rays that are read on a computer. I snagged a double one when we switched over to digital here in the clinic and didn't know where to go with the old light boxes. Just a thought. Good luck!

I have a plexiglass computer holder that had the keyboard under it with the computer on top. Got a laptop, didn't need it. Re-purposed it. Just put a light under it and walah!!! A light box!!!
    Busy in Ohio

I got so lucky! I was at a garage sale and found an x-ray viewing light, the kind on the wall in the doctor's office, for $10. It's big and works great. i also got a smaller one, looks like it might be homemade, at another garage sale a long time before I came across the big one. before that, I was using sunlight through the window - lol.

Blog Entries
    So many great ideas!! Love the x-ray box suggestion...will check it out with my son (doctor). I want to get one as big as I can since I do pageant sashes and have to mark a lot of wording centered down a long strip!! I do have an old printer with a scanner top that I might could convert. I just purchased some great Ott LED lights from Tues. Morning that would work great. Regular light bulbs cause glare with my eyes and I have to squint!! (although time for an eye checkup, too!))

I'm going to keep an eye out for the right size of box/plexiglass!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3