Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting for above sewing area??? >

Lighting for above sewing area???

Lighting for above sewing area???

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 AM

As in so many tools of the trade, there preferences and individual needs.
For my self, my favorite "bright" lite that I take to retreats, camping, traveling is my "Day Light" that I got a number of years ago from JoAnn's on clearance. It's on an extremely heavy base but has an adjustable neck arrangement so it can go from 24" to 48" in height. It has a half moon shield to reflect all the light in whatever direction I need and swivels, too! Lots of features on one $20 light.
I aso have a number of Ott lights (floor, desk, battery) but as others have said, not as bright as I would like them so my DH added the track lights in my sewing room to get what I was looking for. And as my eyes get tired (and yes older) I'm seeking more light.
So as we all know there are so many perference to sewing machines there is also the perference and needs for lighting. I see it as an adventure and have even come find the new halogen lights help in some aspects.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 AM

I have a round fluorescent light that has a magnafyer with a long arm on it that I can screw onto the table and move it and ajust it over what I am working on.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 AM

I have track lighting that I position the lights "just so" that I like very well.
I also have a floor Ott light, that I have near my sewing machine. And I have a desk top Ott light that I placed on a wall shelf over a my table so working with colors is easier.
I don't think you can ever have too much light in a sewing room. Being able to move some are good for flexibility.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap. I would think about getting track lighting. As others have mentioned I use a floor lamp, a bendable gooseneck lamp, and an adjustable arm lamp along with other regular lighting in the room.

What I would be most concerned about is getting enough additional outlets situated around the room. Think about them being not only at the regular floor level but having some additional outlets raised to make it easier to access them depending on how you intend to situation everything in your room. You may also want to think about having all the additional wiring for other electronic items such as computers and tv's while the room is being renovated.

You may want to think about getting some free-standing book cases/storage closets to keep all your sewing fabric and supplies. With a storage unit, you can open the doors while you're working and sewing but then close them to allow the room to appear neat and tidy if company happens to come.

Also think about adding locking wheels to the bottoms of larger items which makes it easier to move for cleaning.

Good luck with your getting your "new" room.

Pam M
Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 AM

My personal preference for clean, clear lighting regardless of application are halogen lights. When/if I have the choice I will put halogen track lighting in my sewing room. I have track lighting in my home office which are incandesent bulbs. In our stairwell we have the halogen track lighting for both general lighting of the area as well as spotlighting photos. Love it. Have halogen lights under my kitchen cabinets for task lighting. The lamp that I use next to my chair for handsewing is also halogen. Can't beat the clarity of the color and the brightness.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
My personal preference for clean, clear lighting regardless of application are halogen lights. When/if I have the choice I will put halogen track lighting in my sewing room. I have track lighting in my home office which are incandesent bulbs. In our stairwell we have the halogen track lighting for both general lighting of the area as well as spotlighting photos. Love it. Have halogen lights under my kitchen cabinets for task lighting. The lamp that I use next to my chair for handsewing is also halogen. Can't beat the clarity of the color and the brightness.
Good idea to use halogen as the bulbs are the best for true lighting. Only thing I don't like about them is the heat that they give off. Make sure that if the bulb goes bad make sure you don't toss them in the garbage as the gas in them is considered hassered waste and needs to be taken care of properly.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap. I would think about getting track lighting. As others have mentioned I use a floor lamp, a bendable gooseneck lamp, and an adjustable arm lamp along with other regular lighting in the room.

What I would be most concerned about is getting enough additional outlets situated around the room. Think about them being not only at the regular floor level but having some additional outlets raised to make it easier to access them depending on how you intend to situation everything in your room. You may also want to think about having all the additional wiring for other electronic items such as computers and tv's while the room is being renovated.

You may want to think about getting some free-standing book cases/storage closets to keep all your sewing fabric and supplies. With a storage unit, you can open the doors while you're working and sewing but then close them to allow the room to appear neat and tidy if company happens to come.

Also think about adding locking wheels to the bottoms of larger items which makes it easier to move for cleaning.

Good luck with your getting your "new" room.

Pam M
Believe me, I am looking into table height outlets. I am so tired of getting down on my hands and knees to plug something in, and my knees aren't what they used to be. Every outlet will be at table height or a little higher. But this all takes time. I will take pictures as the work gets going and post them when done. I am hoping for Christmas.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:34 AM

In my sewing room I had a regular overhead light. I call them boobie lights... you know the ones that are domed and you unscrew the bottom round piece to take the dome down to change the bulbs? Yeah, you'll never look at them again the same way.. anyway.. it just wasn't enough light for me. I bought a kitchen fluorescent light and have been happy.. having said that, it's still not enough light for me - it's loads better but not enough,

I bought a torch lamp that has a reading lamp attachment arm thingy on it. Best thing I ever did. It's awesome. I can adjust the reading lamp part anywhere I want and it's fabulous. I wish I had moved that lamp closer to my sewing desk years ago!!