Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting in my sewing room >

Lighting in my sewing room

Lighting in my sewing room

Old 12-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Just had an LED light installed in my sewing room this morning. I now have as much light as an operating room!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:41 PM

I hung an LED shop light from a coat rack with wheels so I can easily move it where I want it.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:59 PM

We put a tract of LED lights in my sewing room last Christmas (can yon guess what I asked for? better lighting) but I still work in shadow at my cutting table and ironing board. DH said we will have to redo everything since the tract does not do what we wanted. I use a lamp on the cutting table to see better.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

I have LED bulbs in the ceiling fan (4) and a floor lamp (5). I need some over my cutting table. I have 3 equal to 100W regular bulbs over my dining room table. I sometimes use the glass topped table for sewing too. First time Daughter and Son in law came, they asked me why the third degree lights.
I'm like everyone else, no such thing as too much light.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you have a sewing room quilters dream about. I have 2 tables along one wall of my bedroom, but it's all th e space I have since we downsized from a 3 bedroom home with a sewing room in 1/4 of the basement, to a 2 bedroom apartment. I have health issues and was finding it too hard to climb stairs inside and outside our home. The hardest part of moving was having to purge my stash, but i managed to save about half. Since we are both on Social Security, and a limited fixed income, it's been great using up my stash, although i do order online and am able to go to JoAnn's when I need to replenish my fabric. I was able to have a great result from a craft fair in early Nov., so now I have some "mad money" to spend as I like.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:00 AM

Kitsie, that's the same lights, but the ad is for two, so they are $19.99 for each 2-light fixture. Today is the last day of the sale. If you have a Costco anywhere around, call them and give them the Item# to see if they have any left, then make a bee-line after them. Our local Costco had pallets of them and they were selling like hotcakes. When I called to see if they had more, they were out but had 1,000 on order that were to arrive today - the last day of the sale.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:40 PM

That sounds amazing. I can't sew in my sewing room at night either. I only have a ceiling fan light and a pendant light over my cutting table. I have an ott light next to my machine, but if I'm sewing on dark fabric it's hard to see. I'm getting ready to move so on my wish list for the new house is a sewing room on the 1st floor and lots of windows for light. We are moving to Charlotte the end of January and haven't found a house yet. We have packers coming and I plan on packing my sewing room and taking my sewing machine with me in the car. I don't trust them with it. If there are any Charlotte ladies out there that might have some tips on living in and around there I would appreciate it.
I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:24 PM

"To heck with beauty and design - I'm sticking to practicality!" me too!!
Old 12-24-2016, 10:37 PM

When Costco had these on sale during the summer, we bought 3 for our garage-hubby does all our car maintenance and needs light like we do-they have been great for him. He's been aware of my poorly lit sewing room so he suggested the same LEDs for my room, so we got some but haven't hung them yet. I'm glad to see how happy you are with yours-I should have some good light once they are up.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:24 AM

Would you mind posting some pics? I'd love to see what you've done & see if they're in stock at my Costco. Thanks!