Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting Over Cutting Table >

Lighting Over Cutting Table

Lighting Over Cutting Table

Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 AM

I am fortunate to have a double 9 ft florecent that runs above my cutting table and sewing table. No glare, perfect light -
Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My cottage owner took out the weak ceiling light and put in two 4 ft., two-bulb, fluorescent lights about four feet apart in my sewing studio. I adore the light, it's fabulous! Cheap from Lowe's, about $40 total, and easy for a good Do-It-Yourselfer to manage.

Jan in VA
Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM

I had the same problem with glare so I spray my rulers with 2 light coats of Minwax Polyurethane Clear Satin finish. Works really well!

Originally Posted by MOBRIDGE MOM View Post
What kind of lighting do you have over your cutting table. I have just the room ceiling light but want to put something else in. Was thinking about track lighting but worried that it will get to warm. I have really low ceilings. I also have a problem with glare on my rulers. Is there anything that will help with that?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Purchased one of the Ikea mini flood light sets -- it has 3 separate lights which are quite small - which were attached to cabinets above my cutting surface. Its a little more than 12 inches above my cutting surface and set far enough back that its totally out of my way. Due to the small size there's hardly any heat from each light and it gives me the maximum lighting for cutting and putting things together so I can see in great detail. No glare and no shadows. I want to put some more of these types of lights over each set of bookshelves (with fabrics on the shelves) so I can see the colors of each fabric much better, too. Very cheap solution. Love Ikea!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 AM

I have an ott light over my cutting table.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01402.jpg  

Last edited by lalaland; 09-23-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 AM

I use what is called an Architect lamp from Staples ($10-$15) has a clamp to attach to the table with a 48" fold -in-half arm that you can position anywhere you need it. I use a G.E. Reveal Bulb 100 w and gives me good clear, true color light. Use the same thing on my sewing table and quilting table.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 AM

I tried Ott Lights 2 of them but they didn't provide the overhead light I needed, and we do not have any overhead lights in my sewing area (converted the attached garge into my sewing space.) While at Lowe's the other day, I stumbled upon a 4 foot shop light that can plug into the wall. We have some industrial type of ceiling tiles over my sewing machine, so I just screwed in the hangers and then hung the light right over my machine - voile I have great light now and all for the price of twenty bucks.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Bell and Howell is what I have but it looks like these. Just set it where I want. I also use one next to me for sewing in my treadle
http://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Glob...ght+floor+lamp
Old 09-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I use a floorlamp that has four gooseneck lamps attached. I can bend and move each one to shine where I need it.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 PM

An Ott floor lamp is wonderful for sewing. I actually own two of them. One is for my machine sewing area. The other one sits next to the sofa where I do my hand stitching. It has a wonderful bright light without hurting your eyes.