Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting in your sewing room >

Lighting in your sewing room

Lighting in your sewing room

Old 07-17-2023, 07:42 AM

Question Lighting in your sewing room

Hi. What sort of lighting do you have when sewing? I have a sewing room, and the lighting is fine in there, but my embroidery machine is in the loft, where the lighting is crummy. I want to purchase a floor lamp of some sort to sit behind the machine. Do you recommend Ott Light, or another brand? Is anyone using anything else/different brand? I'd love to hear what you use. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2023, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I bought the overhead lightbar on rollers. I have one over my sewing machine and my cutting table. They are LED long light bulbs and replaceable. I ordered them from Sewing Machine plus. Much cheaper then adding new ceiling lights in my sewing room. They can be adjusted in length and height.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:09 AM

I have two Ott lights, one is a table lamp and the other a floor stand amd have had them for years. Have only replaced the floor lamp bulb once in all that time. At the time I bought these, the overhead lightbar on rollers wasn't even invented yet. As soon as these quilt working, I'm buying the light bar.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I bought the overhead lightbar on rollers. I have one over my sewing machine and my cutting table. They are LED long light bulbs and replaceable. I ordered them from Sewing Machine plus. Much cheaper then adding new ceiling lights in my sewing room. They can be adjusted in length and height.
Do you have more info on this lighting. My pressing station needs help.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:42 PM

I have Ott lites, Stella lights and one generic came-from-somewhere light. IMO, Stella lights are by far the best. Although, that being said, I may have to check out Onebyone's rolling lights. They look awesome.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/luminess.php There may be other sites that have them or other brands of the bars.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

A quilt member bought a Stella light. It didn't last but one week after the two year warranty. That makes me hesitant about it. I have an Ott fold away desk lamp bought back when they first came out, decades ago and still using the same bulb! I have had to replace the bulb in one of the light bars but it was free to replace as it didn't last as long as it said would. So far no problem and they are about 4 years old now. I went ahead and bought replacement bulbs to have. They will only get more expensive so why not.
The customer service at SMP has been very good.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:30 PM

Default Lighting in your sewing room

I have OK lighting in the sewing area. Sometimes, I just more light focused on the needle plate. So I now used one of those head lamps people use for camping in the woods. It's great cause I can direst the light right where I need it it.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
A quilt member bought a Stella light. It didn't last but one week after the two year warranty. That makes me hesitant about it. I have an Ott fold away desk lamp bought back when they first came out, decades ago and still using the same bulb! I have had to replace the bulb in one of the light bars but it was free to replace as it didn't last as long as it said would. So far no problem and they are about 4 years old now. I went ahead and bought replacement bulbs to have. They will only get more expensive so why not.
The customer service at SMP has been very good.
Wow! I've had both of my Stella lamps for years and one in particular gets daily use. Still going strong. The biggest problem I have with Ott Lites is that they discontinue bulbs. I had an older floor lamp that I needed a new bulb for. Nope. Not available anymore. They told me which on to substitute. I couldn't get it in. My husband tried when he came home and finally got it in. He said I would never have gotten it in and suggested I buy a differnt brand lol
Old 07-17-2023, 08:20 PM

I have a clip on Ott light that I love. I clamp in on my machine handle, and I can position the gooseneck/bulb exactly where I want it. Fits both my machines. I also have a desk lamp but that one always seems to be in my way!