Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM

I have only read through page one but I would agree with everything that has been said and add

1. Real customer service not a sales clerk that points and says it is over there.
2. Good quality fabrics with a great selection
3. A space where customers can lay out projects to see if the fabrics go together.
4. feeling welcome when you walk in
5. Quilting groups that welcome all ages. I really value people of my grandparents generation and actually love to have a multi-generational group but couldn't find either multi-generations or younger folks.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM

I like to see friendly salesladies that will help you to get the right frabic that you want
Ada
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Sorry for the double post I just had a thought. Sales people who remember that fabric shopping is a joyous pursuit for most quilters. I am not there to listen to their personal phone calls, when I am ready to check out I should not have to wait 15 minutes while they finish a personal conversation, etc. I think a quilt shop should be like a family and I am always up for making new friends but let's go get a cup of coffee if you want to talk about personal issues. When I am in the store I want some help because I have a life I have to get back to, or my time in your shop is my therapy.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM

-plenty of blender fabrics. I have been to LQS in my area and they may have just 1 or may 2 to select from. I am about to the point of just buying my fabric on line. I really touching and feeling the fabric first, but sometimes you get forced into that situation.
NO SNOBBY EMPLOYEES have friends or secret shoppers come in a check how they are treating people. One LQS I will not go to because of how some of the employees have treated me.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by rivka
Friendliness to younger people, or those that you might not expect to be quilters! I hate walking into a quilt store, and being stared at by the older women like I'm some kind of freak.
OMG!!! You are so right! Just because I'm younger and driver a H3 instead of a mini van doesn't mean I can't sew! And yes... I have tattoos too!
My favorite customer always came in wearing her 'colors' and we would keep her helmet under the counter until she checked out. Lots of tattoos. She always bought lots and so much fun to talk with. Great lady.

Pet peeve - I see a display quilt I love and, of course, they are out of the fabric and/or the pattern.

Favorite shop - someone is always in 'back' working on something and will give a live demo and free instructions for what she's working on. Of course, I have to buy fabric to make it, too. :thumbup:
Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 PM

I go along with kwendt, she has said it all, we like to have a group a friendly ladies who not only know how to cut fabric, smile and talk at the same time, but we really enjoy a group of ladies who understand when you go in in a panic and tell them you need to finish a quilt by Saturday and steer you to the area that has just the right fabric to go with almost finished top you brought with you because you didn' purchase enough fabric for in the first place, by the way I am discribing the shop I go in Clovis, CA :-D
Old 01-16-2011, 08:34 PM

I would like a quilt shop that ofers classes every month, not just the winter ones. Also needed is someone who is very knowledgeable when someone comes in with a question about a pattern or a type of project, like a 4 patch posey. I also agree, a couple of chairs for husbands would be very nice in some stores; in others they would not be needed. I have never found the need for carts in a quilt shop because there always seem to be lots of cutting areas where you can put your goods. Sales are always wonderful for the customer and good to make more room in a crowded shop. Of course lots of shop samples are great too.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by FranW
Friendly owner. Where I go the owner is awful. She is very patronizing to anyone that doesn't agree with all of her quilt methods. And I am a free spirit that quilts for the joy I receive from quilting, not the judge's awards. Thank goodness, b/c I would not receive any awards! LOL:)
I am a free spirit quilter, too. Judging quality? No Way!!!! I think that is my main concern about this whole deal. I guess that way I will think that everyone's project it absolutely gorgeous! I love to make people feel good, and have plans to carry that out. I'm just concerned about my own ability to offer qualified help. I am reading each one of these, and am taking notes. I appreciate you ALL!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
Our LQS has a monthy "tea". No charge time to get together. The owner shows us the new things in the shop, samples for upcoming classes and tells about other things going on in the community (charities that need our help, etc.). Then it is time for show and tell. Everyone who brings a show and tell item is entered in a drawing for a door prize. She has the tea in the AM and PM the same day each month. Remember the longer you can keep people in your store the more they will spend. On Tea day the cash register is going non-stop. They are also very good at remembering names of customers.

Wish I had a store like that near me.

Pat
Old 01-16-2011, 09:52 PM

We quilters like to handle the fabric and take our time, savouring the colours and patterns before we make our selections. Shopping in a LQS is not like the grocery store. Unless you are closing within a few minutes, please don't hurry me along.
Good luck with your new venture, you will make many more friends with the same passion for fabric.