Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A Lil Twister Question....

OK, I have all my squares sewn and the border attached and I'm ready to cut.

What's the easiest way to cut these using the tool.....rotary cutter, scissors??? It seems "awkward" to try to cut around the tool with my rotary cutter. Is there a trick I just haven't thought of? Do you just slice through borders and all? I'm having a problem cutting the left side of the tool. Does this make any sense??

I haven't done this myself, but I think I would use a small mat, use a rotary cutter, and rotate the mat. Of course, I guess you could put on a small table and you move around the table. Just take is slow and easy and watch that the tool doesn't shift on the fabric as you go.

I actually bought one of those smaller rotary cutters just for this purpose. It's easier to keep the cut close to the twister square with the smaller one than with the regular sized ones. I wish I could tell you sizes - I think my "regular" sized one is the 45mm. I don't really know the size of my small one but it works really well for that.
    Good luck! :)

Blog Entries
    I have never used a twister, but I would think it would work about the same as a reg. square template. use your cutting mat and if the angle is odd then simply turn your mat and the fabric and template will stay in place, just move really slowly :)

Blog Entries
    if you don't trust yourself to cut them, you could just draw around the template and cut them out with scissors when all of them are drawn. I do that with DP's.

it will seem awkward at first - I have my mat on a surface where I can walk around to the other side while I hold on tight to the template to keep it from slipping. Practice a few cuts on scraps & you'll soon have the hang of it.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Good question. I haven't used mine yet either. Thanks for the topic!

Thanks for asking this, I haven't used mine either. The idea of a smaller rotary cutter sounds good, and I do have that coupon . . . time to shop!

A smaller rotary cutter....hhhhmmmm...now why didn't I think of that??!! :) I have one in my sewing room somewhere. I need to go look!! Thanks :) That's why I love this board :) :)

Would a 28 work??? I think that's the smallest one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Good question. I haven't used mine yet either. Thanks for the topic!
    Same with me! I bought a Lil Twister, and haven't used it yet. It's one of those things I wake up in the morning thinking about...."how will I do that?"

Well, for some reason my small rotary cutter (yes, Susan, it's a 28) didn't work. The template is very thick and then it has those little "legs" on the bottom, which makes it even thicker. There's not enough room (height-wise) for the cutter's knob where the blade is attached to clear that thick template.

I'm frustrated with it so I put it all in a ziploc and labeled it and filed it in the UFO drawer!!

I'm sure there must be something I'm just not doing right. There are so many on here that have made them. I'm sure they didn't have the problems I've had :(

I made a small one, even smaller than the 3 1/2" template. I just used my 45mm rotary cutter. But using the 28mm would probably work better. I have one, just don't have new blades for it. Just go slow. One template at a time. Once you do one or two, you will understand the concept, and you'll do just fine.

I couldn't use my 28mm either. I just cut the bottom, right and top with my right hand and cut the left side left handed.

I'm frustrated with it so I put it all in a ziploc and labeled it and filed it in the UFO drawer!! :([/quote]

retired2pa -
    I saw where someone had traced the template on the grid of 5" squares with a pencil then cut them with scissors. This might work for you - just keep them in order or better yet sew as you cut.

Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    Well, for some reason my small rotary cutter (yes, Susan, it's a 28) didn't work. The template is very thick and then it has those little "legs" on the bottom, which makes it even thicker. There's not enough room (height-wise) for the cutter's knob where the blade is attached to clear that thick template.

I'm frustrated with it so I put it all in a ziploc and labeled it and filed it in the UFO drawer!!

I'm sure there must be something I'm just not doing right. There are so many on here that have made them. I'm sure they didn't have the problems I've had :(
    Thank you for the info! :thumbup:

This afternoon, I did a quick tut for my sister for this. I made my own templates, and I made a 3 1/2 for her. With this thin of a template, I ended up drawing around the template. Then it can either be cut with a rotary cutter using a ruler or another thicker plastic, or you can actually cut it with scissors. I only used 4 blocks across just to show her what I was doing, but I would suggest goint across the top row, then sewing that together. Then do the second row, sewing that row together. You can either sew those two rows together, or just keep them in rows. Because if you keep them as little squares and a breeze comes along, you will have a hard time figuring the patterns out again if you are making a larger quilt top.
    Once you do a couple of the cuts, it will make sense to you and you will see that it really is very easy. I'll add some pictures to help.

Give me a min. and I'll upload some pictures and maybe that will help you.

I use a smaller rotary cutter and I have a round cutting mat (like a lazy susan) which is handy to cut the left side and bottom.

Cutting them does get easier with practise.

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    This afternoon, I did a quick tut for my sister for this. I made my own templates, and I made a 3 1/2 for her. With this thin of a template, I ended up drawing around the template. Then it can either be cut with a rotary cutter using a ruler or another thicker plastic, or you can actually cut it with scissors. I only used 4 blocks across just to show her what I was doing, but I would suggest goint across the top row, then sewing that together. Then do the second row, sewing that row together. You can either sew those two rows together, or just keep them in rows. Because if you keep them as little squares and a breeze comes along, you will have a hard time figuring the patterns out again if you are making a larger quilt top.
    Once you do a couple of the cuts, it will make sense to you and you will see that it really is very easy. I'll add some pictures to help.

Give me a min. and I'll upload some pictures and maybe that will help you.
    I did this quick tut for my sister, but did not put border all the way around, and only did two rows so she should finish. There are a couple pictures so will take me a min. to get them in.

I'm sorry, my pictures just are not uploading. If someone still wants them in the morning, just leave a message on this post and I'll try again. I did my tutorial for my sister on Print Shop, so I can't up load that, but even so, either my computer, but more than likely my internet service is just not working well tonight.

I had a hard time cutting mine too. I just traced the pattern out on all my squares and then just used scissors. Way easier for me then fighting with the rotary cutter. And like already suggested, sew the blocks together as you cut. I cut a couple. Sewed a couple. Cut a couple sewed a couple. It kept from having everything get all messed up quickly. And it was fun to watch the instant transformation! Don't give up. They really are fun. And you will like the end results!

I didn't have a problem cutting mine, I used my 45 mm rotary cutter. I can also cut with my left hand for the left side or do the forbidden cutting towards myself no no.

But if you're successful with cutting the 3 sides and it's only the left side that's the problem because of the awkward angle, try tracing that side with a pencil and use a small ruler placed on the outside of the line and then cut it with your rotary cutter as normal.

Blog Entries
    I am not that confident with a rotary cutter, so I traced around the squares and then sat down and cut them out using my scissors. This worked great for me as I had more control of my cutting and I could sit and cut.

Blog Entries
    i used the 45mm, and no problem. BUT, i did in on my round kitchen table.
    i would not worry about leaving them in place, as your cutting them out..
    i numbered each piece..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I was just thinking about that. I walked around the table the first time. Then I put them on a smaller mat that I could turn but you have to be careful to not move the careful if you have already put some cuts in. I was thinking of asking my husband to make a lazy susan for me to lay the mat on. I did see one somewhere one time online also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast