Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Lil Twister Question.... >

A Lil Twister Question....

A Lil Twister Question....

Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 AM

LindaR..nice!
Love the blue colors.

I rarely buy charm packs..but i bought a "Happy" moda pack, for a spring looking twister table topper..
Old 02-01-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had trouble
using the larger Twister. Cutting was irritating to say the least. The template seems to be too thick so the edges hit the rotary cutter's center screw. I also ended up with wavy borders that I had to rip off and re-measure and sew on again. More irritation, but it lies flat now that it is finished. I like my tablerunner but I'm not sure I'll ever make another one. Maybe the smaller one will be easier as I have several charm packs I was planning on using for Twisters.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy
I use the little 28mm rotary cutter. Be careful to not cut to far past your corners as you might be cutting into your next piece .You might not see it until you go to sew them into the pinwheel and it might not be covered in the quarter inch seam. Ask me how I know this? They are so much fun, but pay attention when cutting. Hope this makes sense to you.

Suzy
I had the same problem of cutting into the next piece even if it was only about a 1/4 -1/2 inch. I just ironed on a little piece of interfacing over the cut and sewed it up anyway. I wasn't going to cut a new block as I didn't have more fabric. Hopefully it withstands washing.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 AM

Wow this looks really complicated. Someone really needs to do a complete tute from start to finish on how these things are made.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Wow this looks really complicated. Someone really needs to do a complete tute from start to finish on how these things are made.

it is not complicated really..
but i started another one.,just the basic table runner,done as a tutorial yesterday..been uploading the pictures in my picasa as i go.
i may move the sewing machine in the kitchen today, so i can watch the game and sew at the same time..
:thumbup:
Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 AM

PM waterstide or sharoni, they sure helped me. I have also been able to make a Twister wreath and hope to post a picture soon. I'm really thrilled with it.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM

I think some already did a lesson on Twister. Look under Search for Twister. It isn't hard just a little frustrating the first time you try to cut it out. Read the above responses and you'll get the ideas. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM

there are couple that have been done here..

this is the newest one i have been working on..not finished yet..getting ready to watch the game!

https://picasaweb.google.com/strut526/TwisterTableTopperPJPartyFeb18th2011?feat=directli nk]https://picasaweb.google.com/strut52...eat=directlink[/url]

once you get into my album, you should be ble to look around for the other twister tutorials
Old 02-06-2011, 02:45 PM

trying this link..

https://picasaweb.google.com/home]https://picasaweb.google.com/home[/url]
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
Originally Posted by Suzy
After you have the squares all sewn into the rows that you want, I cut only one row at a time, then sew those together before starting the next row. that way I don't make the mistake of sewing wrong pieces together. Also, it makes for a change of position for my tired back. Hope this helps? My little twister template was made by the quilt store out of thinner plexiglass than the real template. I put my own grips on the bottom. The larger twister does have thicker legs and does make it hard for cutting. I think I will take those legs off and just use some thin grips that I use on the backs of pictures.

Suzy
this the way I cut and put them together too...I find it easier in my sewing area to start cutting from the bottom. I don't know why I just started doing it that way so I didn't have some hanging off the cutting table and then layed them in order at the sewing machine and then built from the bottom up....
How big was the original piece (plus how many squares) and then how large a quilt did you end up with?