Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Lil Twister Question.... >

A Lil Twister Question....

A Lil Twister Question....

Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by Minnisewta
I made the little one last year using like 150 squares. Never again. I used my rotary cutter. My hands and wrists hurt so bad when I was done. It would help if you can walk around the table to do the cutting. good luck.
i will bet that was a big job! :shock:

I made my own 8.5" ruler with 10" squares of fabric, but it really looks so much cuter with the little twists!

do you have a picture of it finished?
i think i would do a baby quilt in strips of twister rows..with some solid fabric strips seperating the rows...
that would make it so much easier..!
What is a lil twister ruler
Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 PM

I got both the Little Twister and Large Twister rulers for Christmas. I made a small table topper using the Little Twister ruler and had a hard time cutting around the template. As someone else said, the template is very thick and has thick tabs on the bottom. I was considering taking the tabs off too and putting on that grip stuff to make it easier to cut around. I love the way the quilt goes together so quickly. Will definitely cut on a table I can walk around next time too. Think it would be hard to use a rotating mat even for the smaller quilts and really hard using the large template as you are working with such a large fabric quilt to begin with. I want to try the wreath next, then a quilt using the large template. I will keep an eye on this thread for more tips.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 AM

I made my own 8.5" ruler with 10" squares of fabric, but it really looks so much cuter with the little twists!

What is a lil twister ruler
it is just a 3.5 inch square ruler,with 2 lines on it...when the lines are set on the seams..and you cut and sew it back together..it makes little pinwheels..

lil twister ruler..placed on seams
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165608[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165603.jpe  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 AM

Some of you mentioned not liking the "feet" on the Lil Twister ruler.I didn't like it either & gave it to DH to fix :)

He took the tip of his pen knife & took the feet off.I added a bit of that stick on stuff,so it doesn't slip.Works better now,JMO
Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 AM

You could turn over the ruler and use those sandpaper dots?
Connie in CO
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 AM

Sure, that would work, but I was out of the dots.

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
You could turn over the ruler and use those sandpaper dots?
Connie in CO
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Did anyone have to buy a pattern for the Twister wreath? Or did you just figure it out?
There is the layout from a previous post in November, you might do a search. You can also see the layout in watterside's message earlier in this thread, on Page 2.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
After you have the squares all sewn into the rows that you want, I cut only one row at a time, then sew those together before starting the next row. that way I don't make the mistake of sewing wrong pieces together. Also, it makes for a change of position for my tired back. Hope this helps? My little twister template was made by the quilt store out of thinner plexiglass than the real template. I put my own grips on the bottom. The larger twister does have thicker legs and does make it hard for cutting. I think I will take those legs off and just use some thin grips that I use on the backs of pictures.

Suzy
this the way I cut and put them together too...I find it easier in my sewing area to start cutting from the bottom. I don't know why I just started doing it that way so I didn't have some hanging off the cutting table and then layed them in order at the sewing machine and then built from the bottom up....

this is the 6½ without borders, its at the quilters now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167224[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-167219.jpe  
Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suzy
After you have the squares all sewn into the rows that you want, I cut only one row at a time, then sew those together before starting the next row. that way I don't make the mistake of sewing wrong pieces together. Also, it makes for a change of position for my tired back. Hope this helps? My little twister template was made by the quilt store out of thinner plexiglass than the real template. I put my own grips on the bottom. The larger twister does have thicker legs and does make it hard for cutting. I think I will take those legs off and just use some thin grips that I use on the backs of pictures.

Suzy
Suzy, I like your idea. I'm famous for goofing things up!! :D
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks, When I make the big one I will remember to start from the bottom also. Not so much reaching then. That will also be a much larger piece of fabric to work with when getting those squares sewn together. They sure are fun to make . I have made five table runners so far and each person that got one would like more. Again, thanks for the idea of starting at the bottom.

Suzy