Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lil' Twister

DH & I were traveling through WI yesterday & he sat in the car while I went into a quilt shop in Ladysmith, WI on US 8. The ladies were so nice & I watched one demonstrate the Lil' Twister tool. Of course I bought one & a table runner kit. Just wanted to know has anybody else used this & how do they like it. We're in Minneapolis for the next couple of days. Can't wait to get home next week & try it out!

What does this tool do?

The cover sheet says, "No more templates, No more tracing, No more slipping, no more frustration... Only fun! When demonstrated the lady had sewn 16 - 5" squares together with 3" border all around then used this tool to cut squares, she twisted one square, then she sewed them together. She made it look too easy with neat results

Lil' Twister 1
    Name:  Attachment-108051.jpe
Views: 617
Size:  36.0 KB

Lil' Twister 2
    Name:  Attachment-108052.jpe
Views: 728
Size:  13.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor
    DH & I were traveling through WI yesterday & he sat in the car while I went into a quilt shop in Ladysmith, WI on US 8. The ladies were so nice & I watched one demonstrate the Lil' Twister tool. Of course I bought one & a table runner kit. Just wanted to know has anybody else used this & how do they like it. We're in Minneapolis for the next couple of days. Can't wait to get home next week & try it out!
    I have both the small one and the larger one (you use a layer cake size square). I love them! The quilts go together so quickly, the points end up perfect! The pattern ends up looking like it had to be done with templates.....I call it "low effort, high compliment" quilting. Good luck with it. Enjoy!

mimiknowtaylor, I went to the same quilt shop in Ladysmith, WI this past May enroute home from Minneapolis. You'll have so much fun using this tool. Actually, I purchased the template and prepackaged tablerunner kit in red, white, and blue. The colors they selected for the kit and the tool made the project fun and fast. Love that shop!

Blog Entries
    oh.... i want one!!!!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for!!!!!!!
    Thanks so much!!
    I want to do one in batiks.

Blog Entries
    Isn't there a lot of wasted fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have both rulers and the booklet. I made two toppers and they are EASY!

There is not much waste, about 2.25" - 2.50" squares, when you cut out the 'twisters', then you have some on the outer boarder, IMHO that would be no different that when your making flying geese method of square onto the rectangle. I jokingly refer to goose p**p!

here are the one that I have made SO FAR . . . more to come :wink: :thumbup:

Xmas table topper twister
    Name:  Attachment-108092.jpe
Views: 615
Size:  129.9 KB

Picnic twister
    Name:  Attachment-108093.jpe
Views: 580
Size:  125.1 KB

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Dwynn, they are wonderful!!!!!!!! Now I can't wait to get the ruler :D:D

Blog Entries
    I really like this pattern :D:D:D

The website is:
    www.country-schoolhouse.com

the phone # is 715-398-0150
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie
    oh.... i want one!!!!!

I have this product. Larger quilts use the layer cake and smaller use the charms. I have two sets of charms ready to go withthe smaller template. It looks like a great way to put a little juice back into a fun quilt. And it is on my project stack for a Cristmas gift. Actually I have several of my Christmas gift already cut, stored in their own container with a copy of the pattern. This works for me so on the days that I'm not quite feel well, but still want to spend time in my happy room, I can take one of my pre-cut "kits" and it gives me a nice comfortagble pleasure. But I never pre-cut any borders for any quilt. I think you really have to be a very intermediate to advance quilter to be that sure of yourself.

Dwyn..those lil'twister that you did are AWESOME !!

Blog Entries
    I have the big twister. I can't wait to try it but I'm askeered because of the bias edges. I'm planning to do the original layout in a checkerboard type pattern.

I saw a demo of both rulers at a recent shop hop and picked up both. I find myself putting off starting because I too am a little (LOT) nervous about all the bias edges.

Banned
    Awesome twisters!

I did not have any difficulty with the bias edges. When I placed the two edges together and noticed one length was a tad longer, I pinned and placed the longer edge on the bottom so the feeddogs would take it up evenly with the top edge.

If you are hesitant about working with the bias edges, I would suggest you use starch or fabric finish on the fabric prior to cutting. Truly this is a pattern which is loads of fun to do.

Mimiknoxtaylor, I just reread your posting. My husband stayed out in the car, too!!!! As I recall, the shop has a website and several other kits available for purchase.

You missed my LQS in St Croix Falls :( and I was working too
    :( :(! They have several nice shops in Minneapolis... enjoy your time in the midwest!

I found that instead of cutting with my rotary cutter I trace around the template then cut. The pieces go together great. Don't worry about the bias. Love them!

Yep! That's my avatar! So much fun to do. Can't wait to try a 10" block.

If I would have known I would have begged a pit stop! I did get him to take me to HF yesterday evening on the way to our son's house. Picked up the rotary carpet cutter, the last 2 packs of blades they had & 2 of the magnetic wrist bands. Would have loved to "shop" more but again he was in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingQueen
    You missed my LQS in St Croix Falls :( and I was working too
    :( :(! They have several nice shops in Minneapolis... enjoy your time in the midwest!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I have the big twister. I can't wait to try it but I'm askeered because of the bias edges. I'm planning to do the original layout in a checkerboard type pattern.
    Don't be. I've made several quilts using a pattern very similar and they go together beautifully!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last year I bought the gadget and a book at a quilt show--have really enjoyed both. Go and have fun, piecefull, the old one

It is quite simple to make one (or two or three) using the template plastic. I used two sheets (hiding the lines between two sheets) and put some sandpaper dots underneath. It works just like the real thing and costs very little.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast