Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lil' Twister

Power Poster
    First time hearing of it but would love to see a demonstration.

I am on my 4th Lil Twister table toppers for xmas gifts. It is fun to do. I use charm packs and then buy enough fabric for the border backing and binding. they look really cute when finished.

Suzy

Approximately up to a 3rd of the fabric is wasted or put into stash for small squares or paper piecing?

We did an exchange of squares of Christmas material, enough to make a small runner. That was fun and it turned out nice.

Have I understood this template correctly? It looks like you make a 4-patch then place the template on the 4-patch and cut out a block which you then sew to another block? Sounds too simple to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricnut
    Have I understood this template correctly? It looks like you make a 4-patch then place the template on the 4-patch and cut out a block which you then sew to another block? Sounds too simple to be true.
    No, it isn't a 4-patch, it is just squares sewn together. Look on page 3 of this thread and I have some "before" pics there. Those were 5" squares (charms) except the orangish one. She experimented with a larger size. I mistyped that there "was" and should have said WASN'T templates sold yet. But back you your ?, you sew the sqs. together and then place the template square on the seam lines, cut around and resew back together. Sounds more difficult than is. It is very easy.

Blog Entries
    I saw this at a demo day at the LQS. It was really neat how that works!

??? Is this template 10" square?

Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop1
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I have the big twister. I can't wait to try it but I'm askeered because of the bias edges. I'm planning to do the original layout in a checkerboard type pattern.
    Don't be. I've made several quilts using a pattern very similar and they go together beautifully!
    I like the inner border of blue and squares...

I am hoping they have these at the quilt show in Jax this month. Looks like a must have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    The big one is about 8" square. I don't have the small one.

Go to www.country-schoolhouse.com they will show some of the things made with the twister etc. I don' know if they actually show the tool or not as it would be too easy to replicate. the lines on the square are placed a certain way on the fabric to make your cut. It is easy once you know how to do it.

Good Luck
    Suzy

Blog Entries
    Just wondering.I don't make bed size quilts anymore, mostly wall hangings,sofa throws & table runners.Will I need both size rulers, or will the smaller work for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Leezer
    I got them both. The larger one uses layer cake squares but the smaller one makes nice runners and wall hangings.

The smaller one is just perfect for runners or toppers and even baby quilts.

Suzy

Made the kit for table runner with the Lil' Twister on Saturday after we got to the mountain house. It was easy & fun. Now just have to check out my stash for the backing & quilt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Very nice....love your table runner & the print used.

Made the kit for table runner with the Lil' Twister on Saturday after we got to the mountain house. It was easy & fun. Now just have to check out my stash for the backing & quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Di
    Yep! That's my avatar! So much fun to do. Can't wait to try a 10" block.

How did you "quilt" it? Did you just do a meander? I am curretly working on one where I am echo stiching around each twister and it is sooooomuch turning and twisting of tehe quilt to do it --I am using my walking foot as I find I am a perfectionist so do not like the look of the free hand straight stiching--as it is not straight enough!. I am currently doing my quilting on a Bernina QE440 which I love for swing but I want to get something different for quilting. I am actually looking at the HQ Sit Down and am going to the AQS Quilt Show in Des Moines in October and hoping to get a better deal on one there than at my LQS. I have three more of these quilt tops to do yet before Xmas (my teenage neices are getting them for presents) and I want to do some different style of "quilting" them. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    The big one is about 8" square. I don't have the small one.
    I have this big template and mine is a 8" square. You originally cut and sew together 10" blocks and then you cut the new blocks out of this with this 8" template so the new blocks are 8" square.

Quote Originally Posted by kacy 49
    cute toppers. I will have to get me one of these too.

Quote Originally Posted by kacy 49
    cute toppers. I will have to get me one of these too.
    This is a different subject but in your picture, you are standing by a long arm and frame. It looks like a nice setup that doesn't look so huge (unless the picture is deceiving!). What kind of long arem is it? Do you like it? I am looking at long arms and trying to gather as mucn information as possible. Thanks for any information you give.

Blog Entries
    Here is my table topper,not quilted yet. Next time, I'll cut my own squares from fabric I have on hand.My tip is too sew each row as it's cut.I also number the rows on the seam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I also saw this demonstrated at our big quilt show in PA but didn't buy it and wish I did. What is the size of the tools? It just seemed too expensive for me.

Blog Entries
    Think smaller is 3".The bigger square is 5 or 6" sq.Bought at the LQS.Going to do a table runner next.

Quote Originally Posted by jdeery
    I also saw this demonstrated at our big quilt show in PA but didn't buy it and wish I did. What is the size of the tools? It just seemed too expensive for me.

Tried the twister at our sewing guild didn't like all the cutting around the template but the results were great.Templates were too much money for me but if I remember someone said you could a regular 60 deg.ruler.Not sure how......

Quote Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor
    DH & I were traveling through WI yesterday & he sat in the car while I went into a quilt shop in Ladysmith, WI on US 8. The ladies were so nice & I watched one demonstrate the Lil' Twister tool. Of course I bought one & a table runner kit. Just wanted to know has anybody else used this & how do they like it. We're in Minneapolis for the next couple of days. Can't wait to get home next week & try it out!
    What is it? I have never heard of the Lil'Twister tool! :thumbup: :XD:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast