Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Lil' Twister

Blog Entries
    I did see some info on here about making paper/plastic templates.Maybe you can search twister templates?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary O
    Tried the twister at our sewing guild didn't like all the cutting around the template but the results were great.Templates were too much money for me but if I remember someone said you could a regular 60 deg.ruler.Not sure how......

Blog Entries
    Forgot to ask if you had a table runner pattern or just made it up? I have the small lil twister,but only have the instructions it came with.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    The only place I found the ruler was online at one store. If you do a search here it will come up. I can't remember the name of it. I am waiting for it to come.
    Someone made the ruler on this board and a search would find it too. I am just not good with it so I bought one instead.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Magic Pinwheels is the title of the search. greencat did a nice tute!!!! And a beautiful quilt :)

MM

I'm taking a Twister class this week at my LQS. Pre-class "homework" is to have our squares sewn together with a border. I used a Moda charm pack-Isn't Christmas Jolly-and now need to add my border. Having a terrible time trying to decide what color fabric to use for the border.

I'm trying to tell from the before and after pictures posted here just where this initial border ends up in the finished project. And based on that, what color border would be best with the fabric squares I've used. This picture shows my sewn-together-squares sitting on a black piece of fabric. Is this the best color choice for this project? Or what color would you use?

Now if I can add a picture...

Thanks,
    Margaret
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Your black sqs are on the edges, so black border would be against them.Maybe a pretty gold? or Xmas green?

Blog Entries
    Since you have the least number of gold colored on the outside I would use a gold color or if you have any fabric that isn't the same as any outside squares. The border fabric should be the border on the finished piece (the border around the pinwheels like the dotted gold on justme2's quilt).

For your border, try to use a color that isn't in your top row or bottom row or the outsides cause you may find the twister that blends with those rows more or less blends into the border. does that make sense? My camera isn't working or I would post a picture. they are lots of fun to do.

Suzy

there's a picture posted of the Lil' Twister tool on the 1st page of this thread. It's the small one. Later I was at the Dollar store & found an acrylic base with the little rubber dots in the corners. Bought it, got home, marked it like the little tool & so now I have a larger one but haven't used it yet. $1 as opposed to 7 or 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor
    DH & I were traveling through WI yesterday & he sat in the car while I went into a quilt shop in Ladysmith, WI on US 8. The ladies were so nice & I watched one demonstrate the Lil' Twister tool. Of course I bought one & a table runner kit. Just wanted to know has anybody else used this & how do they like it. We're in Minneapolis for the next couple of days. Can't wait to get home next week & try it out!
    What is it? I have never heard of the Lil'Twister tool! :thumbup: :XD:

MM

Thanks for the info; I'll be looking for one myself, but ...
    What is the size of the acrylic base you found?
    What section of the Dollar Store?
    What were they intending the acrylic be used for?

And are the markings at the same point on the larger as on the smaller-three/quarters and one inch?

The base I found is a 6" square & on top has a round depression for a candle. It was with the candles & incense. It's clear so ---I put my purchased tool on my cutting mat, lining it up with the lines on the mat. Then I put my larger square over it & used a washable marker to mark the lines like the original.
    Then I took just the new square & using a straight edge & a Sharpie I make the darker lines. Looks like the original just larger. But I haven't tried it yet but after using the small one it should work just on a larger scale

MM

Thanks so much. I'll be hitting the Dollar store asap.

Margaret

[quote=mimiknoxtaylor]there's a picture posted of the Lil' Twister tool on the 1st page of this thread. It's the small one. Later I was at the Dollar store & found an acrylic base with the little rubber dots in the corners. Bought it, got home, marked it like the little tool & so now I have a larger one but haven't used it yet. $1 as opposed to 7 or 8

What a good idea!! One can find some real treasures a a dollar store!!

Delightfull. Thank You for all the info. Marvel

Blog Entries
    For a little variation, I took those leftover squares and incorporated them into one of the inner borders.....

Tessellating Pinwheels
    Name:  Attachment-165270.jpe
Views: 153
Size:  58.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop1
    For a little variation, I took those leftover squares and incorporated them into one of the inner borders.....
    That's lovely! I love the way you incorporated your border fabric into the quilt and the leftover blocks in the border.
    Did you use the 8" twister for this one?
    How big did it turn out?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop1
    That's lovely! I love the way you incorporated your border fabric into the quilt and the leftover blocks in the border.
    Did you use the 8" twister for this one?
    How big did it turn out?
    Thank you! I used a 6" twister and the end result was approx. 54" square.

Blog Entries
    there's been a lot of them made and shown on this forum. search for them and you'll get lots of pics to look at.

Check out the teeny tiny Lil Twister Tool @
    Primitive Gatherings.com

I finally got one done, I had so much fun I ordered the smaller template and got it in 2 days.

Blog Entries
    [quote=kat112000][quote=grammy Dwynn]I have both rulers and the booklet. I made two toppers and they are EASY!

There is not much waste, about 2.25" - 2.50" squares, when you cut out the 'twisters', then you have some on the outer boarder, IMHO that would be no different that when your making flying geese method of square onto the rectangle. I jokingly refer to goose p**p!

There is a very easy "no-waste" flying geese method out there which works for any size goose...Makes geese in multiples.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I am looking for the instructions to make my own template and cutting measurements for the fabric too !!

we were discussing this earlier today on the board!.... I saw the web site & decided to make my own 6 inch 'twister' ruler, using scotch tape & a square ruler. I love the pattern it makes, the idea is simple , and makes a fast quilt top.
    you're going to enjoy it.!

Here's the one I made featuring Java by Moda.It's hanging in my kitchen

there's a picture posted of the Lil' Twister tool on the 1st page of this thread. It's the small one. Later I was at the Dollar store & found an acrylic base with the little rubber dots in the corners. Bought it, got home, marked it like the little tool & so now I have a larger one but haven't used it yet. $1 as opposed to 7 or 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn
    DH & I were traveling through WI yesterday & he sat in the car while I went into a quilt shop in Ladysmith, WI on US 8. The ladies were so nice & I watched one demonstrate the Lil' Twister tool. Of course I bought one & a table runner kit. Just wanted to know has anybody else used this & how do they like it. We're in Minneapolis for the next couple of days. Can't wait to get home next week & try it out!
    What is it? I have never heard of the Lil'Twister tool! :thumbup: :XD:
    Be careful! The ones at the dollar store here are GLASS not acrylic. They had two sizes and I was excited until I realized they were glass.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4